International students and families celebrated at Ashland University 

On Thursday, Jan. 25, the AU International Student Services Club hosted its Celebrating the World event at the Eagle’s Landing. 
Graham Scott
Raffle basket at Jan. 25 ISS event 

AU has a prolific population of international students, with over 300 students from across the world. The International Student Services club helps bridge the gap between cultures, foster connections between the students, and provide resources to help students learn about and interact with different cultures. 

The event, according to Event Coordinating Officer Zack Van Farowe, served to welcome new international students to the campus, as well as to celebrate the wide variety of international students and cultures present at AU.  

He said, “This is our first event for the semester, and it’s meant for the new international students that just got to Ashland, as a welcome for them. It’s also an invitation to the families that housed the international students over break, and it’s also a thank you to them.” 

Although turnout was low in numbers, it highlighted the closeness and bonds already forming among AU’s international community. 

Oleksandra Bibik, ISS’ marketing specialist and an international student herself, said, “It was difficult when I first came here, but it’s fun now. I’ve gotten used to the United States already and I’ve made friends, which makes it easier. The events are my favorite part because I can already see what we’ve done, and the results of our preparations.” 

Since many international students live off-campus, finding comfortability on campus can be a daunting task. The International Student Services Club aims to combat this issue by providing a space for connection across cultures. 

Zack van Farowe said in regard to this, “We’re here because you don’t often see a lot of international students, because they live off campus. When they come here, it’s kind of like a unifier between our community and their community when we’re together.” 

To learn more, stay up to date with international news, or get involved with more international events at AU, check out the ISS club website, or send an email to [email protected].