Around Ohio: The Ohio State University falls to Michigan in storied rivalry, 30-24

The Buckeyes’ undefeated, 11-0 season, comes to a close in loss

The Ohio State University football team competed this past weekend against rival Michigan at the Big House in BIG-10 play.

Coming into the game, the Buckeyes would post an undefeated record of 11-0 with wins over Penn State and Notre Dame. Michigan was favored coming into the matchup and they posted an 11-0 record as well with a win over Penn State.

The Buckeyes were led by Marvin Harrison Jr, who posted 1,093 yards and 13 touchdowns on the season and is currently a favorite to win the Heisman Trophy. The Wolverines had running back Blake Courm who was nearing 1,000 yards on the season and 20 touchdowns. The winner of “The Game” would face Iowa for the BIG-10 championship and potentially earn a spot in the college football playoffs.  

Over 110,615 fans packed the big house as kickoff ensued.

The Buckeyes first drive would result in a punt. Michigan would come down the field and score off a 1 yard Blake Courm touchdown. The Wolverines would go up 7-0 early in the first quarter.

The Buckeyes would then come down the field and have to settle for a 43-yard field goal. The end of the first, Michigan would lead 7-3 at home.

Heading into the second quarter, the Wolverines would strike back fast and score off a 22-yard touchdown pass from J.J. McCarthy to Roman Wilson to bring the Wolverines up 13-3. In response the Buckeyes would score off a touchdown grab by wideout Emeka Egbuka and bring the team within scoring distance, 14-10.

Michigan would get another big lead in the third quarter of play, but the Buckeyes responded with a three-yard TreVeyon Henderson rushing touchdown.

The Buckeyes would then even the score 17-17 later in the game. 

However, just as quickly as the game became competitive, it shifted right back in the Wolverines favor.

Two Michigan scores later and the Wolverines were up big on the Buckeyes looking to capture a win over their rivals.

The Buckeyes’ offense and Kyle McCord would attempt to compete a comeback as a pass to Harrison Jr. would bring the Buckeyes once again in striking position with the scoreline sitting 27-24. Michigan would score one more time off a field goal with 1:05 left in the fourth. 

McCord could be a hero or the most hated. With 1:05 left McCord would have to lead his Buckeye squad on a game winning drive. McCord would complete two passes down field to continue moving the rock for his side.

On the third attempt, McCord was intercepted by Michigan’s defensive back Rod Moore, resulting in the Wolverines earning their third straight win over their rivals, 30-24, in a BIG-10 thriller.