AU wrestling team feeling confident in 2023-2024 season

The home opener will take place on Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. vs. No. 20 Mercyhurst at Kates Gymnasium
Retrieved with permission from AU Athletics
The Eagles gear up to build off a strong 2022-23 campaign.

The Ashland University wrestling team has started their 2023-2024 season strong through the team’s first three events

After the team’s most recent matchup at the University of Findlay, the Eagles have been placed at the No. 15 ranking. 

Leading the charge is Head Coach Colton Sponseller, who is taking great pride in how his team has prepared for the season.

With an older group of guys, Sponseller has great confidence in the leadership they can provide to the entire team.

“It’s not what I’ve done it’s what they have done, these guys have been putting in good time, good quality, good effort, which I think has allowed them success so far this season” he said.  

One of those leaders in the locker room is sophomore Nate Barrett.

Barrett has been a pivotal piece for the team on and off the mat. In the 2023-24 campaign, he  is also feeling confident with the teams’ abilities this season, just like Coach Sponseller.

The team has been building the camaraderie through the entire group during the offseason in hopes of building their confidence on the mat as a team.  

“We have always been a close team, but I think this year we are ready to get after it this season” said Barrett.  

Alongside Barrett, fellow teammate and graduate student Daniel Beemer is keeping his expectations high for his fellow teammates.

“The expectation team wise is to compete heavily in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference” said Beemer.  

The 2023-24 home opener will take place on Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. vs. No. 20 ranked Mercyhurst at Kates Gymnasium.