AU women’s basketball hosts 3 vs. 3 alumni tournament

The tournament brought new and old players of the program together
Retrieved from AU Women’s Basketball Instagram
The alumni and active players stand together for a picture after the 3v3 alumni tournament ,welcome event.

The women’s basketball team hosted the first-ever “3v3 Alumni tournament, Welcome event” sponsored by the Fast Break Club back on Oct. 14.

The Eagles opened the door for the public to get a glimpse of the 2022-23 NCAA Division II national champs and get a rare look inside practice before the start of the coming season.

“Our 1st annual FBC Welcome Event and 3 v 3 Tournament of Champions was a huge success. Outside of fundraising, the main reason for this event was to actively engage our alumni base as well as get our fans excited for the upcoming season,” said Pickens. 

At the event, Head Coach Kari Pickens also named the captains for the upcoming season, to go alongside the day of fun.

Former Eagles would then shoot around and get loose during this time in preparation for the 3v3 tournament. As the alumni took the floor, smiles and past memories filled the floor.

“While the fundraising was a huge success, the connection of people was what made the day so rewarding,” said Pickens.

At the conclusion of the open practice, coach Kari Pickens introduced the team and had each player say a little bit of information about themselves

“We are excited to host it again next year, and I personally can’t wait to join the 3 v 3 tournament and represent our 2013 National Championship team,” said Pickens.

The Eagles will kick off the 2023-24 season at home in non-conference play with one game on Nov. 10 and Nov. 11. Both outings are set for 5:30 P.M. in Kates Gymnasium.