Eagles finish intense weekend of competition going 2-0

The AU volleyball team improves to 19-7 on the season and 12-2 in conference play
Ben Nichols
The Eagles continue to roll through the Great Midwest Athletic Conference as they sit in first place in the South Division.

The Ashland University volleyball team competed this past weekend against Ohio Dominican and Thomas More at home in Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) play.

For the Eagles, these two opponents would be tough to go against as the regular season slowly comes to a close.

The Eagles started the weekend of play on Saturday, Oct. 28, where the Eagles paid host to Ohio Dominican, defeating them in a 3-1 series. From start to finish, the Eagles dominated, taking the opening two sets and the fourth, with a tight-knit loss coming in the third. 

Set Scores vs Ohio Dominican 

Set 1: 25-15 Eagles  

Set 2: 25-19 Eagles

Set 3: 25-23 Panthers

Set 4: 26-24 Eagles

After pulling off a clean win on Saturday, the Eagles regrouped and rested as they prepared to take on the Thomas More Saints the following day on Sunday, Oct. 29.

The Eagles came out swinging showing no signs of fatigue, sweeping the Saints in the process. Coming into the game, Thomas More would pose a 4-20 record overall and 2-11 record in GMAC play.

That record was highlighted by a struggle-some 0-9 record on the road and heading into a tough place to play like Kates Gymnasium, those struggles would be shown.

The Eagles would win the first set taking the win 25-18 then winning the 2nd 25-12 before closing out the win with a 25-15 win set win. The team posted a point differential of 75-45, outplaying the Saints at a high level.

Set Scores vs Thomas More  

Set 1: 25-18 Eagles

Set 2: 25-12 Eagles

Set 3: 25-15 Eagles

The Eagles will look to close out GMAC play with 4 games remaining before the conference tournament begins. The next outing for them will come at home on Friday, Nov. 3, with the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers coming to town. Kickoff is set for 6:00 P.M. in Kates Gymnasium.