AU dining meal swipes increase by 40 cents, a full swipe costs $7.75 

The 4% price increase to meal plans themselves depend on varying food costs in the industry
Gracie Wilson
The main student dining hall, “convo”.

Students with an on-campus meal plan may have noticed that the price of a full meal swipe increased to $7.75.  

“The prices of the meal plans did increase this year,” said Frederick Geib, director of dining operations. “In turn, the equivalency rate increased as well.” 

Both the additional 40 cents to the meal plan equivalency and the approximate 4% price increase to meal plans themselves depend on varying food costs in the industry.  

In the past few years, there has been an unprecedented number of these increases in food prices and services due to inflation, however, for this fiscal year the $7.75 swipe equivalency and meal plan price points will stay the same, Geib said.  

“For Eagle’s Nest, we’ve seen increases across the board with all the convenience store items we purchase,” he added.  

Geib said that the “highest spent item” in student dining last academic year was on cracked eggs.  

“You’d think the protein items, like the fresh salmon, fresh tuna that we use or the chicken on the rotisserie would be our highest spent items, and [they weren’t],” he said. “[We would spend] about 4.50 for a dozen fresh eggs.” 

“Students like their eggs,” he joked.  

In his 30 years working with dining services, Geib noted he had “never seen the price of eggs fluctuate that much.”  

Variances and fluctuations in produce are the most common, which are typically based on seasonal changes.  

The pricing is typically competitive compared to other institutions. Geib added that Ashland’s dining services maintain prices as best they can.  

When discussing these fluctuations, Geib said “it’s bothersome.”  

“You make adjustments when you can, but we’ve never seen any of the prices permanently [fixed],” he added. “They’ve had their highs and lows, but it’s usually only temporary.”