Spring 2023 Keynote Commencement Speaker announced

Marsha Curry-Nixon will be the Spring 2023 keynote commencement speaker.

Marsha R. Curry-Nixon has had the pleasure of accepting the opportunity to be the Spring 2023 keynote speaker at commencement on May 6, 2023.

Curry-Nixon is an educator, counselor and mentor that plans on sharing inspiration from her life to all upcoming graduates.

According to the April 11th press release, Curry-Nixon “ She suffered various levels of abuse, became a young mother, turned to drugs and ended up in prison for three years in the 1990s. Her remarkable transformation began while incarcerated, as she learned to forgive, found her faith and trusted that God had a plan for her future.”

Curry-Nixon currently holds an associate’s degree from Harrisburg Area Community College, a bachelor’s degree from Lebanon Valley College where she graduated with a master’s degree in public service leadership and honors. She is also the current founder and director of Amiracle4sure, Inc., a ministry focused on renewing, refreshing, and restoring the life of individuals whose lives were impacted by negative experiences.

She also serves as a member of the advisory boards for The Council of State Governments and the Correctional Ministries Chaplains Association.

Kristin Lanzone, Administrative Assistant to the Provost, says ”The President selects the Commencement speaker. The Student Senate selects the Valedictorian speaker, the Valedictorian speaker will be student Carrick Miller.”

There are estimated 680 students graduating this upcoming Spring Commencement, however only around 350 students will be attending as of current.

Few changes have been made to this upcoming commencement ceremony compared to the previous years.

“We have purchased and installed a permanent sound system in the Niss Athletic Center. Previously, we have had to rent this equipment for each Commencement ceremony,” Lanzone explained. “Now we will have our own equipment to use for Commencement ceremonies and other events that may take place in the Niss.”

There will also be an award presented to recognize a new Trustee’s Distinguished Professor, this award is granted to select few professors and is appointed by a Trustee’s Distinguied Professor Committee.

It is recommended that graduates request your complimentary tickets and purchase additional tickets in advance by April 26, 2023. The link to order your tickets online can be found at www.ashland.edu/commencement.

Mark Biltz, former Student Senate Senior Class President, said “Part of my duties is to give the invocation and benediction, which is basically opening and closing prayer. However this year I am going to see if I can give a state of the class address, because we’ve had such a successful year.”

The commencement ceremony is still in the process of being planned by both Lanzone alongside Biltz, they are still looking for volunteers to assist with the overall output of this years spring commencement.

“We need at least 8 to 10 students and/or staff who would be willing to help at Spring Commencement by passing out programs and assisting those in attendance,” Lanzone explained. “Those willing to help would need to arrive at the Niss Athletic Center by 8:00 a.m. on the day of Commencement, May 6. Your duties would be over by about 10:15 a.m.”

If you are willing to help with the production of Spring 2023 commencement, email Kristen Lanzone at [email protected].