WCC holds first annual public speaking contest

Kylie Van Dine

Mohsine Bensaid in the Writing and Communications center with the writing coaches

The Writing and Communication Center (WCC) announced a public speaking contest.

According to Beth Buttil, WCC administrative assistant, the first annual Lucille Ford Public Speaking contest hopes to engage students with public speaking skills to inform better, persuade or explain a vital topic to the Ashland community.

WCC Director Mohsine Bensaid said Dr. Lucille Ford “has been an influential figure in the Ashland campus and community.”

Ford has worked in the Ashland University community for over 30 years, Bensaid said.

“I would love to honor her contributions as one of the most decorated and accomplished residents of Ashland,” Bensaid added.

Bensaid also mentioned that the center would like to stress and promote the focus on communication across the curriculum. He emphasized that the focus is rooted in the Accent on Communicating Initiative, led by Dr. Maura Grady, director of the English composition program.

“I see this contest as a way of contributing to changing the culture of student production,” Bensaid said. “We’d like to build an institution where students are empowered and engaged in several ways to produce either in speaking or writing or other modes of communication, with the hope of enabling our students to be effective communicators here at AU, or even after AU.”

The contest’s theme is focused on protecting the Earth. Contestants must prepare and record a speech describing how the AU community can contribute to environmental protection.

“This may include personal experiences at the community level or larger thoughts on how the AU community can have an impact on regional or global environmental issues,” Buttil said.

“According to the Earth Day Network, one billion people participate in Earth Day festivities each year in over 190 countries,” Bensaid added. “We want Ashland University students to be involved as well and continue to think of ways we can protect the environment and do our part.”

The deadline to submit a recorded speech is Saturday, April 22, by midnight. Contestants can submit their recordings through a Google form, linked to the center’s social media platforms.

Contest rules and criteria can be found on the form as well.