Student Senate meets to discuss mental health and suicide prevention training

Abigail Hassenzahl

Student Senate discusses important topics that Ashland University is facing

Zachary Scher, representative for Finance and Facilities, mentioned that there would be coffee tasting in the Archer Library.

The coffee tasting will help determine which vendors will be at the new cafe being implemented in the library.

The coffee tasting will be March 30-31 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the library. Pete’s Coffee will host the tasting on Thursday and Dessert Oasis will be on Friday.

Students are encouraged to attend to receive free coffee. Afterward, students will be asked to fill out a Google form to gauge the best vendors for the cafe.

Dr. Robert Pool, a student senate advisor, mentioned a training that members of the Ashland faculty attended. This Suicide, Self-Harm, and Harm to Others Prevention Training was implemented across campus.

The idea was to create better awareness of these issues and offer better resources on campus to deal with the problems.

Pool also mentioned that students should be aware of these issues as well.

“If you see something, say something,” Pool stated.

If a student is concerned about a friend or seeking help, they can reach out to a trusted faculty member. If they believe that danger is imminent, they are encouraged to reach out to safety services.

Student Senate meets every Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. on the second floor of the student center. The meetings are open to the public and everyone is welcome to attend.