Managing a full plate while having college success

College can be a daunting task. With new responsibilities and freedom, students have the ability to make their own decisions about their futures.
From degree-planning to test-taking to degree-obtaining, in just four years, students are projected to plan an entire life ahead of themselves. With valuable resources both on and off campus, students have the opportunity to turn this intimidating task into a foundation.
“Whether you’re exploring or know exactly what you want, your life’s calling has already started,” Zachary McGrain, executive director of the Career Center for Life Calling, said.
Especially as an incoming first-year student, McGrain explains that the first two weeks can be overwhelming, but critical.
“Find a routine and catapult into the next portion of the semester,” he continued. “Prioritize that structure and create it early. There’s going to be mistakes and hurdles, but figuring out a routine that works for you in those first two weeks are easy steps to start with.”
The Career Center for Life Calling is a vital resource students can take advantage of. McGrain expresses the importance of students to get involved on campus and to communicate their struggles.
McGrain and other consultants are dedicated to helping students find their own path and make progress throughout their four years at Ashland.
“Everyone’s path is unique,” he said. “Come speak with us. Together we can find out what’s next– what’s tomorrow, not five years from now.”
Academic and departmental advisors are also beneficial to student success in higher education. Although different people define success differently, according to McGrain, it is important to trust advisors and work together to meet a student’s definition.

Unique Paths

Senior Emily Troyer is a psychology major who switched majors from education part way through her sophomore year.
“I realized there are a lot more teachers in schools rather than psychologists,” she said.
Troyer expressed an appreciation for the field of education, but realized a similar path that fit better to her personal goals.
“When I came to college, I realized I needed to study harder in order to succeed,” she continued. “I learned to be organized and develop a routine that worked. I think it’s important to not overexert yourself. Remember to have personal boundaries when you are working too hard or not working hard enough.”
Similarly, third-year senior Isaiah Heaton enrolled into AU with many College Credit Plus (CCP) credits. According to him, these credits seamlessly transitioned him into a college mindset.
“It was good to come in with a lot of credits, because it counted for most of my core classes. I was able to emphasize time management easier,” Heaton said. “It’s important to do what you want, but also having the time to focus on what you need to do as well. I also think it is important to get involved as much as you can.”
When it comes to getting involved, senior Matt Plumb seems to have that down, pairing his passions with his academics. As a business administration major, Plumb has managed to separate his time with the arts, choir and theater.
“When it came to college, I felt a lot more freedom than high school since it’s an entirely different environment,” Plumb said. “It was tricky at first to balance the freedom and time management, but having the passion for music and doing theater makes things easier than it sounds.”
Plumb emphasized that students are students first, however extracurriculars are passions that deserve commitment.
“When it comes to balance, having the discipline to get things done when they need to be done is crucial,” he continued. “Most professors are pretty flexible whenever your schedule starts to become a little tight. It’s important to understand that they will work with you as long as you communicate with them.”
Plumb describes college as a stressful time for everyone, but added, “these are the times of your life that are the most stressful but also the most enjoyable, so take time to enjoy yourself.”
Similarly to Heaton, senior Belle Ayala found the college transition to be relatively simple.
“I always stayed involved in high school,” Ayala said. “I felt the transition into college was simple, since Ashland did a lot to integrate freshmen at the time with information and involvement fairs, activities and Orientation teams. Although Covid put a wrench in it, those things made the transition less intimidating.”
During her junior year, Ayala decided to take some time off of her education to focus on her personal and mental health and wellbeing.
“I felt I burnt myself out quickly. Taking a break was very necessary for me since I felt so anxious and exhausted,” she continued. “There’s a lot of pressure to finish school in four years, but the break helped me reevaluate my time at Ashland. I plan on tackling the upcoming semester differently. Ashland was able to work with me on my multiple outcomes and paths to follow.”

Finding Success

McGrain and Ayala express that students are not expected to know the answers to everything. In fact, McGrain explains that various resources exist solely to help and benefit students in their collegiate career.
“The worst thing you can do is not ask questions,” McGrain said. “College can be exciting, challenging, rewarding and super stressful, but embrace your time here and ask questions. Leverage off of all your experiences. We are here to coach you along the way. Sometimes, there will be a hiccup, life happens, but it’s all about moving the process in a positive direction.”
McGrain advises to use the various resources available to students.
“Whether it be professionally, personally or spiritually, advisors and faculty members have an ear to listen to you and get you to the right place,” he added.
“There’s no rush. Take your time if you need to,” Ayala concluded. “It’s okay if progress is not linear because it is still progress.”