Pandemic rejuvenation of the IMA Accounting Club

The Institute of Managerial Accounting Club (IMA) is an organization where accounting and finance students come together to benefit academically and professionally. They pull employers to campus for recruitment events for students to get to know their organization and get a sense of what their culture is like.

In the fall IMA took the members to Whitcomb & Hess on an office visit. They have many goals for next semester to involve more students.

Next year they are looking to add a case competition team with students interested in working on an accounting and finance case and then presenting the case to get a chance to compete at the IMA conference.

The organization is also looking to add a workshop series to help students gain marketable skills that they can apply in real-world accounting and finance jobs. They also want to start weekly study tables and encourage students to work together and use each other to help with studying.

On Feb. 1, Bob Archer delivered a powerful, motivational, and informative speech detailing his rise to the top of the business world. Archer credits his academic opportunities for his success along with hard work. He spoke about the humble roots of Kent Watersports (now Kent Outdoors) and how hard work and dedication to his business allowed him to make wise business decisions and get him to where he is today.

Archer offered advice to budding entrepreneurs and fielded many questions after his speech was over, staying after to talk one-on-one with many interested students.

Archer knows the value of a good education and together with his wife, they have made it their mission to give back to their community, especially Ashland University.

Opportunities like these are the type of events the IMA Club plans on hosting.

For more information on the Institute of Managerial Accounting, contact Hilary Wallace at [email protected], or on Instagram at imastudentau.