ADPi president says “The sisterhood isn’t cancelled”

Retrieved by: Katie Harrigan

The sisters of Alpha Delta Pi sorority on bid day.

Katie Harrigan

Service, leadership and support are just a few of many life skills that the sisters of ADPi practice on a daily basis. Coming from all different backgrounds, members of this chapter devote their time to achieving academic excellence; helping those in need and making the community a better place for everyone.  

President of ADPi and early childhood education major, Sydney Beavers, joined the chapter as a freshman. 

She was initially drawn to ADPi as they hold their members to high academic standards and their philanthropy aligned with her passion for helping children.  

We’ve had the highest Greek GPA on campus for over 20 semesters and we are hoping to continue that tradition in the years to come,” Beavers said.

ADPi’s nationwide philanthropy is Ronald McDonald House Charities. The Organization is dedicated to providing families with ill children an affordable place to stay while on their medical journey. 

“We [ADPi] go to Ronald McDonald House in Cleveland once a semester and serve the residents staying there,” Beavers said. “We get to cook for them, play with the kids, paint their nails and do other fun activities.”

Beavers said her favorite memory from a past visit was praying over a family who had been staying at Ronald McDonald House for quite some time.  

We found out that my church and their church were both in the same planting network and we found a personal connection. I still think about that family a lot,” Beavers said. 

In addition to their occasional visits, ADPi holds several other events throughout the year to raise money for the organization. This includes an annual silent auction and Chipotle fundraiser.

Senior and digital media production major, Cass Tolliver said ADPi is the only chapter on campus that actually gets to visit their philanthropy and see where the money they raise throughout the year is going.

“I remember being at the Ronald McDonald House and there were two little girls who were sisters…we played and did crafts together all night long. I painted their fingernails, and they acted like it was the coolest thing anyone had ever done for them,” Tolliver said. “What the kids don’t realize is that while we are making their night, they make ours even more.”

Tolliver said being in a sorority has made her open to taking opportunities and more involved on campus as a whole.

Though campus events may look different for FSL this year with a new online format, Beavers maintains a positive attitude as adjustments take place and ensures that “the sisterhood isn’t cancelled.”

Beavers said that members ADPi are still able to live with one another this semester as long as they follow the appropriate health guidelines. 

“ADPi has a suite on the third floor of the Clarke building which holds about seven to eight girls,” Beavers said. She added that up to 10 people may be gathered in sorority suites at this time.

Beavers said although she does not live in the suite, she frequently checks in on her sisters to make sure they are well and to see how they are adjusting to ‘the new normal.’

Middle grades education major and head of ADPi recruitment, Tieler Crouse said members who do live together are being especially attentive to their health, social distancing and adhering to all health guidelines so they can continue staying on school grounds.

Sisters posing on bid day 2019. From left to right: Alisa Harbaugh, Violet Orr, Cass Tolliver and Emma Frantz. (Retrieved by: Katie Harrigan)

“Chapters on campus are trying to make the experience as normal as possible…the love and appreciation for our sisters has remained strong regardless of the situation and that support makes this time almost easier.”

Tolliver said she could not imagine a college experience without ADPi in her life.

“Because of ADPi, I am forever a part of something so much bigger than myself and I have forever sisters,” Tolliver said. 

Crouse said being part of ADPi or a sorority in general builds professional connections and creates friendships that have a great impact on you as an individual.

You will gain not only a sisterhood, but an experience to last a lifetime. Even in the years past college, you will have these bonds that will enrich you throughout many walks of life,” Crouse said.