Volleyball team eager to build on record

Retrieved from: goashlandeagles.com

The volleyball team celebrates on the court

Nate Powalie, Sports Columnist

While college sports are currently on pause due to the pandemic, Ashland University is keeping its teams motivated for when Jan. 1 rolls around.

One team holding practices to help build the motivation and prep for the upcoming season is the Eagles’ Volleyball team. Following a quick exit in the GLIAC tournament from last year, the Eagles have a chip on their shoulders as they look to build on last season’s 24-7 record.

Third-year coach Kevin Foeman has had some early success with the program in his first two seasons, compiling 49 wins and two GLIAC postseason appearances. While volleyball practices are going on, Coach Foeman has focused on what is ahead. 

“The biggest thing right now we’re looking forward to is playing,” Foeman said. 

With the schedule still being unreleased, there is confusion as to what is to come in the upcoming weeks. But while the regular season is still in limbo, practices continue to roll without a hitch. 

While the big goals of the upcoming season are still unclear at this moment, the practices are basically scrimmages for the team splitting into two smaller teams. And Foeman hopes that these small practices will help to develop the team better for the winter and spring season ahead.

“For the fall practices, we’re taking our focus toward smaller goals, and we’re using these so we can compete against each other in smaller groups,” he said. 

While the Eagles did lose Sophi Cudworth to graduation in May, they still have almost all of their roster from last season, including stars such as Brooke Peiffer, Lexi Lombardo, McKinley Smith, and others.

Members of the Ashland Eagles volleyball team. (Retrieved from: goashlandeagles.com)

Five new players have joined the roster for the upcoming 2020-21 season, including new freshman outside hitter Evelyn Haydu (Wadsworth High School), outside and right side hitter Emma Quandt (Broadneck High School and South River Volleyball Club, from Annapolis, Maryland), and Defensive Specialist Katie Thompson (Padua Franciscan High School). 

The Eagles also added two transfers to their group in outside hitter and defensive specialist Heidi Fausze (Originally went to Eastern Michigan University, will start play as a junior) and a Middle Blocker who is an Ohio native in Courtney Rosebrook (attended Patrick Henry High School, will start play as a senior) from Lake Erie College.

With a new season facing the Eagles, the pressure is on to keep up their successful performance but to advance and have a deep playoff run. After having early exits in the GLIAC tournament the last two seasons, there is a big chip on the players’ shoulders when looking ahead to the 2021 calendar year.