Group X in full swing with face-to-face and online exercise classes

Emmalee Lamolinara

Group X classes are back in full swing this fall semester here at Ashland University. Classes officially started back up on Sept. 8.

The exercise group offers 5-8 different classes that are free to all AU Rec Center members and students of Ashland University. Exercises take place in 30-person occupancy aerobics studios and other areas around the building. 

There are eight different classes offered: yoga, dance conditioning, cycling, spin, dance aerobics, circuit training, REFIT and Group X mix up.

“This fall will also have a nice surprise change to the schedule as we are going to start doing a one class on Saturday mornings,” Group X dance aerobics and yoga instructor Sydney Moore said. 

All the other non-Saturday classes are offered every week at the same time.

The Rec Center and Group X have worked in tandem to allow the classes to fit COVID-19 policy and protocol. No more than nine people including the instructor are allowed to be in the aerobics studio at one time and all participants must wear masks.

Each Group X staff member is certified and highly trained, while also due to the pandemic, everyone that walks into the Rec Center needs to wear a mask at all  times while in the building. 

“This is a great way to get students up and moving during these hard times of dealing with the pandemic,” Moore said. “It is so important to exercise during the pandemic because exercising gives us endorphins, which are tiny neurochemicals released by our body when we workout. They reduce pain and contribute to our anxiety, and stress, it boosts our self esteem, and the list could go on. It’s all about feeling good and comfortable in your own skin! This pandemic has brought so much stress and uncertainty that the one thing it shouldn’t take away from us is taking care of our bodies.” 

Group X is implementing online class options, which can be accessed at 2020recreationmovement.com. As of right now, the group is uncertain if all classes will be offered virtually but that may change further into the semester. 

“I started Group X because I was already certified in REFIT before I came to AU,” Group X cycling and REFIT instructor Olivia Lowery said. “I really love the message of REFIT has about body positivity and loving your workout and I really wanted to share the message here with AU’s campus. Group X is just a group of amazing instructors who want to share their classes with others on campus. Our instructors love what they teach and I think that is what makes the classes fun, it keeps people coming back.”

Group X classes are currently underway Monday-Thursday and Saturday.