Dr. Daniel Fox – Chair of economics/finance in the college of business

Dr. Daniel Fox: Chair of economics/finance in the college of business

Ashland.edu

Christine Jenkinson, AU-LIVE BREAKING NEWS REPORTER

As the final installment of the series on the College of Business and Economics, we will be taking a look at the Economics and Finance department.

This department offers many majors and minors, seven to be exact:

Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration with a major in Economics, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in economics, a minor in economics, a minor in business analytics, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in finance, a minor in finance and a minor in risk management and insurance.

Dr. Daniel Fox has been chair of the Economics and Finance department for three years.

“The career opportunities in economics, analytics, finance, and risk management continue to grow,” Fox said. “The department provides current and future students with the opportunities to pursue these chosen career fields.”

Students who take the route of Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, with a major in economics, do not need to complete an internship. However, students who pursue a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in economics and finance must complete an internship.

“Economics majors study the principles and institutions that form the foundation of our economy,” Fox said. “We look at the policies that affect the development of industries, the growth of the economy, and consumers’ standard of living.”

These majors really focus on real world problems by learning how to apply theory and other concepts. Specific knowledge and communication skills are points that are driven home, since those are the building blocks to things like “key managerial thinking competencies of logical thinking,” Fox said.

The other side of this department is finance. Students learn about corporate finance, financial strategies, security analysis, investment portfolio management, money and banking, insurance and global finance.

Students also have the opportunity to manage a portion of Ashland’s endowment fund. They make decisions about “buying and selling equity, fixed income and other securities,” Fox said. They have the option to take the NASD Series Seven examination and become a licensed securities broker right after graduation.

This department offers a course called FIN 322 Personal Asset Management. It is open for any sophomore-status student to take.

This course was designed to not only introduce students to “methods of effective money management,” but set up real world examples on facing issues on personal finance.

Students will learn how to set realistic financial goals and other various methods that can be used to accomplish those goals.

“I highly recommend this course for any student interested in learning how to better manage their personal finances,” Fox said.

Alumni work for all different sized companies. Some recognizable companies are JM Smucker, Goodyear and Edward Jones.

Students with questions can contact Fox at [email protected].