Kid Kulture and the Tr!o perform concert at AU Chapel

Chante Rutherford, Reporter

Students, faculty and community members filled Jack and Deb Miller Chapel on Nov. 12 to watch a new and upcoming music group, Kid Kulture and the Tr!o.

The concert was hosted by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes who invited the group to AU to host a concert as a fundraiser for their Dominican Republic Sports & Services Mission Trip in May.

The group, coming out of Mansfield, are siblings who have been making music since they were very young. All five Hill siblings- Alan (Kid Kulture), Andrew (clarinet and E-Reed), Aaron (drums), Adien (trumpet) and Ariane (flute)- brought a jazz and hip-hop mix to the stage.

“Alex, our other brother, was the one who gave us the idea to have the benefit concert,” Ariane said.

“The Tr!o came together in 2016 even though we have been doing this since we were small,” Aaron said.

Kid Kulture has released some of his own work as well. In 2018, he released his album called “Black Suburbia”.

“It was a culmination of relationship experiences for me personally and with the people around me that I’ve noticed,” Kid Kulture said. “It took a while to write but it’s a great project nonetheless.”

There is no target demographic when it comes to sharing their creations.

Back in 2018, The Richland Source invited the group to play their song, “So Confused” at the Richland Newsroom.

“We had fun while performing there and embraced the experience doing such,” Ariane said.

Similar to NPR’s “Tiny Desk Concert”, the goal of performing at Richland Source’s “Newsroom After Hours” event is to enjoy the music and feel the vibes that come with it, as stated on their Facebook post.

“There is no true demographic we target,” Ariane said. “We see so many people jam out to us. We’ve seen old folks get down with our music.”

When it comes to making music, one of the hardest things is finding the overall sound.

“Finding what our sound should be is the hardest part,” Aaron said. “There’s no definite sound.”

Even though the search for a definitive sound is still in the works, the group is still pushing to release great music for everyone to enjoy.

Their next project called “Two” is set to be released Dec. 6 on all streaming music platforms.