Eagle football team travels to Findlay for non-conference game on Saturday

AU ATHLETICS

Senior stud Tristan Reichelderfer tied the AU one-game sack record of 3 1/2 sacks during a game against the Saginaw Valley State Cardinals on Nov. 2

Evan Laux, Reporter

The Ashland University football team will hit the road to play the Findlay Oilers this Saturday in their last travel game of the season.

The Eagles are now 6-3 overall and 5-2 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference while the Oilers are share an overall record with a 5-1 record in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference. Both teams have won five of their last six games. The matchup is a non-conference game, which is somewhat rare this late in the season.

The team is hot off a 24-21 win against GLIAC contender Saginaw Valley State (4-5, 2-4). Senior stud Tristan Reichelderfer had a standout performance, making 3 ½ sacks to tie College Football Hall of Famer Bill Roycein 1993 for single-game sacks. The record was also tied by James Prater Jr. against the same Cardinals in 2017.

“I don’t think there’s ever been an Ashland Eagle team go on the road and in the same year beat Grand Valley State and Saginaw Valley State,” head coach of football Lee Owens said. “It’s an unbelievable accomplishment. Those are two big state schools with a strong tradition in the GLIAC.”

The Eagles are now preparing for another tough competitor in the Oilers.

Findlay has a dangerous offense, boasting significant stats in both average passing yards per game (231.4) and rushing (230.7). Junior wide receiver Ruben Flowers will be a threat, with 771 receiving yards this season with an average of 85.7 yards per game.

“Findlay is a good team and they’ve always been a good rival for us,” said Owens. “Regardless of who it is or where it is, our guys want to play. It’s a good opportunity and challenge for us.”

On the Eagle offense, freshman tailback Gei’ Vonni Washington is on his way to beating the AU freshman rushing record. In the 99 years of Ashland University football, only one freshman running back has accumulated over 1,000 yards rushing; Matt Otero in 1997 with 1,030 rushing yards. Washington currently has 963 rushing yards on 209 attempts.

Kickoff is set for noon on Nov. 9 at the Donnell Stadium. Live coverage can be heard on 88.9 WRDL.