How to make extra money in college

Cass Tolliver

College is a time in our lives where we barely get any sleep, are constantly going to classes, and as you probably know, do not have much money. In other words, us college kids are broke. What else would you expect though with tuition costs, meal plans, and book prices?

Colleges and universities basically set us up to have no money. With that being said, there are so many ways for college students to make extra money while being in school.

1. Get an on campus job. I know that you have probably heard that a million times, but campus jobs truly help out tremendously. Since they are on campus, they typically work around your class schedule, so you hardly ever have to worry about work interfering with classes.

Along with that, the work hours are usually no more than four at a time. With the shifts being short, it makes the job go by faster and you can get back to doing your extracurriculars or other activities.

Ashland University makes it easy to apply and receive a job on campus. These jobs include being a tour guide, working at Tuffy’s, running the social media for AU and so much more.

Type this link into your search bar to see what campus jobs are available right now: https://www.ashland.edu/student-affairs/career-services/campus-employment

2. Sell some of your clothes. I know that almost everyone has clothes stuck in the back of their closets that they do not ever wear. Collect them all together, put them in a bin, and take them to Plato’s Closet. They are normally good about buying items and giving you a fair price in return.

If Plato’s Closet is not your thing, try selling them on a social media outlet. In my opinion, Instagram and Facebook are the best bets for selling items like clothing.

3. Try pet sitting or house sitting. Most people will pay a responsible college aged kid to stay at their house to pet sit or house sit if they are out of town and normally they pay pretty well. Ask your parents if they know anyone or have any friends who are going out of town for a few days and need a house sitter.

4. Become an Uber Eats driver. Recently the city of Ashland adopted the Uber Eats option for numerous restaurants. Basically, someone will order food on their phone using the app and about fifteen minutes later, a driver is delivering it to them. With this job you will work as an independent contractor and have the freedom to make your own schedule. This way you can pick up extra hours on evenings or weekends.

5. Be a brand ambassador. Most major companies will provide some sort of compensation for students to promote their products on college campuses. I personally do this for several companies, and it’s a fun way to make a little extra money.

If you are super passionate about social media like I am, this is the best option for you. With that being said, not every company offers a brand ambassador program. Do your research and find out what brands offer it!

Although those are the most obvious ways for college students to make extra money, there are other little side jobs that would be just as effective. Those range anywhere from recycling metal, selling items other than clothes, babysitting, cleaning houses, repairing computers or phones, shoveling snow and so many more! Honestly, the possibilities are endless.

As easy as it is to complain about being a broke college student, there are ways to avoid that. I would first start off by looking for a campus job and then proceed down the list of other ways. If they all fail, then maybe just wait until you secure your college degree and start your career.

Finding side jobs may be tedious and time consuming, but they are worth it in the end. Doing crappy jobs but having a little more money truly pays off.