Swihart’s late goal lifts Eagles past Panthers in OT

Ashland wins 4-3

AU Athletics

Swihart running down the field

Paul Murray, Reporter

Senior Forward Deijah Swihart scored the game winning goal in overtime to lift the Ashland University Women’s Soccer team over Ohio Dominican on Sunday afternoon.

The Eagles got out to a hot start, quickly going up 2-1 just after the half. Senior Forward Emily Ledbetter sent a deep shot from the midline to give the Eagles a commanding 3-1 lead at the 63 minute.

Ohio Dominican retaliated fast scoring two goals in a 23 second span, tying the game at 3 goals each.

Neither team could get a ball in the net in regulation, and an overtime period began.

The final goal came when sophomore Faith Lewis won a clearance at midfield and then squeaked past the defense to find an open Swihart, just a few feet away from the goal. Swihart sent a shot into the back of the net, granting the Eagles their third road win in the past week.

“Our midfield did a great job all game of winning balls and keeping us in the attack and from there, Faith was able to drive at the defense and had the option of shooting it herself or slipping in a pass, she found Deijah to tap it,” Ashland Head Coach Taylor Clarke said.

Swihart has made a career at scoring game winners. So far during her illustrious career at Ashland, she has scored seven game winners. This is only her second on the year.

“Faith was pushing hard toward the goal and defense rushed to guard her, there was nobody around me when I got the ball” Swihart said. “In those situations you don’t even think, you just react.”

Swihart’s quick thinking has also proven to be pivotal in the Eagles offense.

She has led the team in goals scored and shots taken almost every year, but has faced many injuries. She missed the entire 2017 season due to a torn ACL, and only played eight games last season due to recurrent knee problems.

Barring any injuries late in the season, Deijah and the Eagles are dangerous contenders to win the GLIAC title. They are currently atop the GLIAC with a record of 3-1, but are missing their reigning keeper of the year Hannah Lee due to a concussion.

“Our team is playing great right now, but it’s a long season,” Senior Defender Sydney Wright said. “Hannah should be back in a few games, but we’ve dealt with injuries before. Coach Taylor does a great job of getting us all ready to play.”

The Eagles will rest up for now and will be looking to improve their record to 4-1 when they return to their home turf of Ferguson Field on Thursday, Sept. 19 to take on Trevecca Nazarene.