AU Honors Program goes through changes

September 5, 2019

Change has come to the Honors Board of Ashland University’s Honor Program.

Grey Johnson

The Honors Program is an “academic community which seeks to promote a dedication to personal development, academic excellence, and community,” said Grey Johnston, president of the Honors Board. “The Honors Executive Board plans events, manages budgets, creates charity partnerships, and helps to grow this student community.”

As of this year there are now two new members of the Honors Board: Konrad Hodgman, treasurer, and Dr. Weidenhmer, director. Rebecca Schaaf has also stepped away from her position as the program’s coordinator.

“Konrad Hodgman has become a new board member after winning his election last year for treasurer,” Johnston said.

Dr. Swanson explained that he stepped down from his position as director because he felt a calling to become the chair of the department of mathematics and computer science.

“While I had hoped I would have been able to serve as chair and the director of the honors program, I did recognize that this would have caused quite a burden on covering the math courses offered in my department,” Swanson explained.

Swanson was the director of the honors program for 12 years and said that he will look back at those years as the favorites of his career due to the various opportunities that it gave him.

Though his position is filled, there are still some positions that the honors board is looking to fill.

Ashland University
Dr. Jeffrey Weidenhamer

The honors board is still looking for somebody to replace Rebecca Schaaf as the program coordinator after she transitioned into a new position that is not at Ashland University. Grey has said students are invited to aid in finding new coordinators as well as new directors.

New members are decided by elections as well as through applications and interviews, for coordinators and directors. Grey is also looking to appoint two freshman representatives to the board. Applications are currently being accepted.

While changes have come to the honors board they still plan to promote all that they have before and help the student community grow.

The current members of the Honors Board are as follows: Grey Johnston as president, Jessica Myers as vice president, Konrad Hodgman as treasurer, Gracie Wilson as secretary, Serena Hollis as PR manager, Dr. Weidenhamer as director and Rebecca Schaaf, the former honors program coordinator.

The Collegian • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in