Eagles Split Two Game Series with Northwest on Senior Day, Look Forward to Tournament

Dean Paolucci, Reporter

The regular season for the Ashland University softball team officially came to an end on Saturday, when the Eagles faced the University of Purdue Northwest Pride in a two-game series at Baldwin Wallace University.

The Eagles split the series against the Pride by falling in the first game 5-0, but winning the second game 7-3 against the Pride.

With the split in the series, the Eagles ended the regular season with a combined record of 33-21 and a 18-14 record against Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opponents.

In the first game, the Pride got off to a hot start by scoring two runs in the first inning and three runs in the third. Meanwhile, the Eagles did not score a run the entire ballgame, but was able to accumulate six hits in total for the game, losing 5-0.

Offensively, the Eagles were led in the first game by senior first baseman Kylie Asmus and junior second baseman Camille Pollutro, who both were able to get two hits each on four attempts each.

Defensively, sophomore pitcher Laney Jones went six total innings on the mound for the Eagles. Jones (15-10) allowed seven hits and five earned runs, but was able to strike out seven of the 29 batters she faced.

The Pride were led by sophomore outfielder Zoee Anderson and freshman outfielder Amanda Noblett, with Anderson going two for three at the plate and bringing in two runs-batted-in and Noblett going two for four and also bringing in two runs-batted-in.

Sophomore pitcher Courtney Blackwell led the way for the Pride on the mound, going the entire game without allowing a run. Blackwell (12-6) allowed six hits and struck out three of the 33 batters she faced.

For the second game, the Eagles were the team that started off hot, scoring seven runs in three innings. The Eagles were also able to capitalize off of two errors by the Pride, winning the second game 7-3.

On Senior Day, senior third baseman Paige Summers led the way, going a perfect two for two at the plate and bringing in four runs-batted-in.

“It was awesome. We all just decided to go have fun, we’re going to get this game for the seniors and for the team,” Summers said. “It was just a big game, a big win for us.”

Meanwhile for the Pride, junior first baseman Emma Hendricks went one for three and brought in two runs-batted-in offensively.

On the mound for the Eagles was another senior, this time senior pitcher Hannah Stroe. Stroe (16-11) went seven innings and six hits and allowed three earned runs.

Meanwhile for Purdue Northwest, senior pitcher Mia Stevens faced off against the Eagles. Stevens (7-11) went only two innings after allowing six hits and seven runs, with four being earned runs.

The win for the Eagles in the second game was a good ending to the regular season for the seniors, according to head coach Emlyn Knerem.

“It’s good to end on a high note like that,” said Knerem. “I think we absolutely had chances all week to perform well, and we stepped up to the plate, and hopefully, we take that into the GLIAC Tournament.”

The Eagles now officially sit at third in the GLIAC, behind Grand Valley State University at first and Davenport University at second.

Heading into the GLIAC Tournament, the third-seeded Eagles will take on the sixth-seeded Wayne State University Warriors (32-21, 15-17 GLIAC) on Friday, May 3. The GLIAC Tournament Quarterfinal game is set to begin at Air Force Park in Sandusky, OH, at 12:30 pm.