SAAC Supports Make-A-Wish with Goodwill Fashion Show

Ingrid Schmidt and John Margida

Ashland University’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) held a Goodwill Fashion Show on March 20.

The event featured student-athletes working the runway in Upper Convo to raise money for The Make-A-Wish Foundation.

SAAC President, Jay Slone said that the event allowed the organization to work in conjunction with the Ashland University Fashion Department.

“We go to Goodwill and buy clothes,” Slone said. “We bring in our fashion department at the school and they basically make the outfit, teach us how to run the runway and we just try to have a good time from there.”

All of the money went to The Make-A-Wish Foundation. SAAC has been very involved with the nonprofit for years and is planning on granting a wish very soon.

“So the money goes to the Make-A-Wish foundation,” Slone said. “Every two years our organization tries to grant a wish to a kid in the local community that has a terminal illness. We granted one two years ago and we’re planning on granting one next month.”

Ashland University’s SAAC helps to get student-athletes involved in the community. Being involved with The Make-A-Wish Foundation means a lot to the students involved in the organization according to Slone.

“What we do is we get a grant from the league of how much money we can spend for our organization so this is what we spend some of that grant money on,” Slone said. “What we try to do is, we try to get interaction with regular students, athletes, and bring everybody together.”

Kayla Troyer, is a senior SAAC Member at Ashland University. Troyer said that the organization provides many opportunities for student-athletes to get out into the community.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Troyer said. “I enjoy helping out the community.”

Overall, SAAC’s mission is to bring Ashland together. By coordinating events like the Goodwill Fashion Show, SAAC is able to spread positivity in Ashland according to Slone.

“Any time we can get support from the community or the students, athletes, regular students, doesn’t matter, we appreciate it,” Slone said.