Eagles turn in multiple first place finishes at Findlay

John Margida, Reporter

The Ashland University Track and Field team went to the Findlay Open this past Saturday (Jan. 12). The Eagles turned in an amazing weekend with multiple first-place finishes.

Turning in provisional marks this past weekend was Junior Ellie Jindra in the women’s high jump ladder with a mark of (1.71 meters) finishing in first place in her event.

Ellie’s goals moving forward are, “Jump higher to secure a spot for indoor championships and jump 1.78 meters or 5 feet 10 inches.”

The Ashland University Assistant track and field coach, Abby Majesky was very impressed with Ellie’s performance this past weekend.

Majesky said, “ Usually the week everyone gets back from break you either are going to have a great meet or a not so great week.”

That makes a lot of sense everyone needs to get back in the flow of things when you get back on campus. Maybe they didn’t workout as much so they still need to work off the rust of coming back but not Ellie.

The team also goes by this saying of motivation, “You could be up all the time but can’t PR every week the farther you go down the farther you come up,” said Majesky.

Senior Myles Pringle also turned in a new provisional mark for with a first-place finish in the 60-meter dash with a time of (6.87 seconds), and sophomore Channing Phillips also made a provisional mark in the men’s 200-meter dash (21.97 seconds). Reaching a provisional mark qualifies you for indoor championships but it doesn’t guarantee you a spot.

Also, earning wins for the women Eagles were sophomore Madeline Kreller in the 200-meter dash with a time of (25.64 seconds) and sophomore Miyuki Sugiyama in the triple jump with a height of (11.20 meters).

On the Men’s side winning there events for Ashland on Saturday were sophomore Trevor Bassitt in the 60 meter hurdles with a time of (8.20 seconds) and 300 meter dash with a time of (35.75 seconds), sophomore Ian Johnson in the mile run finished with a time of (4:23.73), Phillips in the 400 meter dash with a time of (50.19 seconds), Pringle in the 600 meter run with a time of (1:22.71) and high jump with a height of (2.15 meters).

Junior Jacob Bon in the long jump with a length of (6.76 meters), junior Kyle D’Ambrosio in the triple jump with a length of (13.14 meters), and the 4×400 meter relay team of Bassitt, freshman Brayden Chaney, sophomore Travis Moore and Phillips finished with a time of (3:25.14).

Up next for the Eagles they will compete on Friday (Jan. 18) at 12:30 p.m. at the Youngstown State College Invitational.