International Education Week to begin

Isabella Pacinelli

International Education Week will begin on Monday, Oct. 22 and go through Saturday, Oct. 27.

Sponsored by the International Club, International Student Services, and the Study Abroad department, the week serves as an opportunity to remind students of the international experiences that are available at AU.

This week is “dedicated to educating both American and international students about different countries,” junior, Psychology major, Dana Awlia said.

Awlia is an international student from Saudi Arabia and the president of the International Club.

“There are a lot of students here who haven’t even gone out of Ohio, so it is really cool to have all these people from all around the world to tell you about their experiences and their culture,” Awlia said.

International Education Week kicks off Monday with an exploration of the offered Study Abroad Exchange programs from 4-5pm in the Student Center Auditorium.

The next day involves a Cultural Connections Table on the first floor of the Student Center from 10 a.m-2 p.m.

There will be snacks from different countries as a fun way to introduce students to different cultures, Awlia said.

The International Club will next offer a “World Cafe: South Korea” on Wednesday from 4-5 p.m. in Eagles Landing. This is an educational event that is organized by four students from Korea who will discuss the uniqueness of their country.

“We try throughout the semester to educate people about different countries, cultures, and religions, but I think this week focuses on it more and that is really important,” Awlia said.

On Thursday, the focus will be on marketing your international experience, which will be located in the Career Services Resource Center from 4- 6 p.m.

International Student Services and Study Abroad Coordinator, Jacob Moss, acknowledges the significance of marketing studying abroad as a job aspect.

“We even encourage students that have been on vacation or have any other cultural experience to find creative ways to incorporate that into your resume just so we are really capitalizing on these experiences,” Moss said.

International Education Week will end with a trip to Cedar Point’s Halloweekends on Saturday, Oct. 27 from 10am-8pm, open to all AU students. Tickets are $50 a person and sign up is available in the International Student Services office.

“The whole point of this week, if nothing else, is just to remind campus that there is a lot going on here,” Moss said. “Not only do we have international students but a lot of our domestic students have these amazing, unique experiences abroad each semester.”

Despite Ashland’s small, rural atmosphere, there are about 320 international students and 300 students studying abroad each year.

“I don’t think we really realize how fortunate we are as an Ashland community to have access to these cultural experiences,” Moss said.

Both Awlia and Moss hope that students take International Education Week as an opportunity to learn about different countries and cultures and become knowledgeable about the opportunities that are available to embody these international experiences.

“We should share good things, that is the whole point of experiencing them,” Moss said.