Ashland volleyball is handed first GLIAC loss by Michigan Tech

Dean Paolucci, Reporter

The Ashland University volleyball team encountered their first conference loss of the season. The loss came at the hands of the Michigan Tech Huskies by a score of 3-2.

The Huskies snapped an eight-game winning streak for Ashland, and gave the Eagles their first loss at Kate’s Gymnasium this season.

The Eagles fall to a record of 15-3 and 8-1 in GLIAC play, while the Huskies move to 14-3 and 8-1 in the GLIAC.

In the first set of the match, the Eagles looked confident. Ashland made an 11-3 run late in the set to give them a 20-10 advantage. Ashland won the first set by a score of 25-18 behind a very impressive 42.9% hit percentage. Redshirt-junior Michaela Ping and freshman Zoey Peck both made blocks to finish the set.

The second set was a struggle for the Eagles, who trailed 16-13 at around halfway through the set. However, the Eagles rallied to take a late 19-17 lead thanks to senior Reanne Neal who led the way with three crucial kills.

Michigan Tech would attempt to make a comeback, but junior Sophi Cudworth finished the second set with a kill off an assist by Peck, giving the Eagles the second set 25-23 and a 2-0 advantage.

Ashland entered the third set looking to finish the match and continue their winning streak, but the Huskies tied up the set at 15. The Huskies made a run, leading 22-16 nearing the end of the set.

The Eagles continued to fight and were close with the Huskies, 23-22, with freshman Erin Krupar making a key block. Zoey Peck made a crucial serve error and Michigan Tech senior Mariah Sherman made a huge kill to give the Huskies the third set 25-22 and cut the Eagles lead to 2-1.

The fourth set was back-to-back early on, however, Michigan Tech began to extend a convincing lead of 20-9 over Ashland late in the set. The Eagles attempted diminish the deficit, rallying back 22-17. The Huskies would prevail winning the set 25-18 once again behind Sherman who scored the final kill to tie the match up at 2-2.

The final set was hard fought by both teams. Ashland had the upper hand early 11-8 with Krupar and Ping providing a spark.
The Huskies rallied to take a 14-11 lead behind sophomore Olivia Ghormley. Ashland junior Shelby Woycik and Krupar both scored on kills to send the match into overtime.

Michigan Tech senior Mariah Sherman scored on a kill to take the lead by a score of 16-15. A costly serve error for Krupar finished the set 17-15, ending the match 3-2.

The Eagles offense was led by freshman Erin Krupar who scored on sixteen kills and fifteen digs. Senior Reanne Neal had fourteen kills, as well. Eagles freshman Zoey Peck also had a great offensive game by setting up her fellow teammates, posting fifty-two assists.

Olivia Ghormley led Michigan Tech with twenty-five kills on the day, and senior Mariah Sherman who posted seventeen kills.

The Eagles look to bounce back from their first GLIAC loss of the year when they travel to take on the 6-11 Northwood Timberwolves on Friday, (Oct 5).