Jones prevails as the Eagles place sixth at the HawksHead Links International

John Margida, Reporter

The Ashland University Men’s golf team traveled to Wayne State over the weekend (Sept. 29-30), to compete in the HawksHead Links Invitational.

The Eagles finished 6th out of 9 teams at the invitational with a total 2 day score of (293-301—594). Grand Valley State won this event with a two round score of (292-292—584), followed by the host Wayne State in second scoring (289-297—586) and Drury coming in third place with a score of (293-294—587).

Individually, sophomore Ben Jones continued his hot start the the 2018-2019 season. Jones first round on Saturday he shot an incredible 68 and on Sunday came back to the pack with a 74. The two round score was good enough for fourth place in the individual standings.

For Jones, those two rounds brought his 18 hole average to 72.25 through eight rounds this fall. The round of 68 he posted on Saturday was the third best round for an Eagle Mens golfer since the 1996-97 season.

Jones has also finished in the Top 5 Individually three out of the four tournaments this fall to start the season.

Other Individual scores included senior Austin Kondratick tied for 11th place with a score of (74-72—146).Junior Patrick steffen and redshirt freshman Luke Tanner who tied for 27th with a score of (153) through two rounds.

The Ashland University Men won’t be back in action for two weeks when they travel to the Motor City Invitational in Dearborn, Mich. to conclude the fall season on Sunday and Monday (Oct. 14-15).