Museum of the Bible makes a stop at AU

Christine Jenkinson, AU-LIVE BREAKING NEWS REPORTER

The Museum of the Bible is coming to AU April 2 – 14 in the student center conference rooms from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays and Saturdays.

President Carlos Campo serves on their board in Washington D.C.

“We had been talking to the Museum of the Bible for some time, I serve on their board, and they had done a number of traveling exhibits but nothing quite like this before,” Campo said. “We had been asking ‘what would it look like to do one of them here,’ probably for a year or so, and they had been talking to a number of folks within our facility services and seeing if we had the space requirements and those kinds of things.”

The Green family has helped the Museum of the Bible collect their artifacts and manuscripts. After the family started collecting for their private library, “they realized before long that they had really a solid collection and they saw a real opportunity,” Campo said.

Thanks to the Green family, this exhibition has artifacts that come from all over the world.

Rome, the Vatican Museum, and other countries have contributed to this collection.

They have been displayed in Oklahoma City.

This is the exhibition’s first stop on their travels around the world.

“One of the things we are trying to do is use Ashland as a pilot project to see what the interest is like because this one really focuses on the aesthetic, the illustrations, in the bible,” Campo said. “I think that’s going to be very fascinating for people to see, not only the Word itself, but also the way the illustrations have helped illuminate those words.”

Being a Christian-based school helped in the exhibition’s decision to come to AU.

“They’re open to bringing the artifacts to different kinds of campuses that have different kinds of backgrounds,” Campo said, “but I know that they were very encouraged by the fact that we have a very strong student body in terms of their commitment to Christianity, Fellowship of Christian Athletes and The Well.”

Many different types of students will be coming to this exhibition and everyone is welcome, regardless of denomination.

“…Community engagement is a big part of our strategic plan,” Campo said. “We want people to know that Ashland isn’t just for the students on campus, it’s really a resource for the whole community. It’s not an Evangelical museum, it’s not a museum that says you have to believe a certain way.

The Bible has a huge influence on literature, on history, on social movements.”

Campo said to invite people to come and let others know.

“The museum is making it available and free of charge,” Campo said. “It’s a great opportunity, so I hope a lot of people will take advantage of it.”