Greek Interest Night

Isabella Pacinelli

Greek Life hosted an interest night on Jan. 18 at Redwood Hall in order for every chapter to promote themselves to possible new members.

Assistant Director of Student Life, Dustin Hargis, describes the event as an opportunity for the Ashland community to meet new people and understand what Greek Life entails.

Greek Life provides a focus on “academics, service, leadership, brotherhood, and sisterhood,” Hargis said.

“It’s a one stop-shop for a holistic college experience,” he said.

“You get all of those things in one area and you get to build those relationships that you’re really not going to build in other clubs.”

The informality of this interest night is fostered by a hot chocolate bar and tables offering conversation about the Greek community on AU’s campus.

Interested guests walk around to the sorority or fraternity tables in order to discuss chapter values, philanthropy, and well-known hosted events.

Liz Bucci, president of Panhellenic Council, said students can “get more comfortable with the chapters on campus” by attending these events. Although it is not formal recruitment, some chapters are still able to extend bids.

Bucci sees this event as a great way to place a positive spin on the Greek community. It will show people how much “excitement, happiness, and passion” each chapter has. “We are not as intimidating as people think.”

Another “great part about Greek Life on Ashland’s campus is that we all support something different, but then we also all support St. Jude’s and come together to work for that,” Bucci said.

Freshman transfer, Ashlynn Beachler, attended the interest night to get involved.

Beachler stressed her desire to make lifelong friends and respects the efforts given to philanthropy.

“I had a lot of fun and met a lot of people,” Beachler said. “I want to branch out and meet new people and I know this is a great way to do that.”

The next Greek Life-hosted event is St. Jude Carnival Night and it will take place on Feb. 23 at Redwood Hall from 9:00pm-1:00am.

For $5 students can play games, dance to music and have an opportunity to win small giveaways, all while helping the children of St. Jude.