RAs offer advice to hopeful RA applicants

By: Christina Miadich

While many people may think that being a Resident Assistant is all about enforcing rules and living alone, there is much more to it than that. Applications to be an RA next year are due Nov. 19, and this year’s RAs have insight for anyone considering the job.

“One of the great things about being an RA is the close friendships that you build with the staff and the students on your floor,” Beth Frisbee, sixth floor RA of Kem, said.

There are many benefits that one can receive when becoming an RA. The biggest advantage is receiving free room and board. Living without a roommate can also be an advantage for some people if they would rather have their own space.

Being an RA is also a good way to get involved on campus.

“Since I am an RA in a mainly freshman dorm, it is interesting to see how much the freshmen grow,” Hallie Mast, third floor RA of Amstutz, said. “It makes me feel good to know that I have helped them by making a home for them.”

The application process is relatively simple. It starts off by filling out an application where one must answer several questions, including what one’s current activities are, motivations for wanting to become an RA and what one would do to make everyone feel at home on the floor.

Aside from filling out an application, one must write a cover letter with two letters of recommendation attached.

There are also involvement meetings to attend that are not required but highly recommended.

Other requirements include a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher, having full-time student status and attending all staff training meetings.

An aspiring RA also cannot have been written up for any violations. If currently an RA, one will be removed from his or her position if ever written up.

Most importantly, RAs are people that can be considered role models. They need to be people that the students on their floor can look up to and go to for help whenever they need it.

There are, however, downfalls to this position just like there would be with any other job. It is very time-consuming. The RA must be available to help out students on the floor.

“It is also a very humble job,” Mast said. “It is not just about you and what you want to do anymore; you are now responsible for looking out for everyone on your floor.”

Frisbee said she has had to help residents deal with challenging issues.

“It is mentally exhausting at times – such as times when we have to deal with suicidal ideations of residents or drug use/abuse, abusive relationships and roommate conflicts,” Frisbee said.

Despite the few downfalls that it has, Mast said she believes it is a great experience for leadership and she encourages others to apply for it if they’re interested.

“After becoming an RA, I really learned more about myself,” Mast said. “It pushes you as a person in general and it tests your values.”

RAs can have a huge impact on someone’s life. The best part is one does not have to be involved in anything specific to become an RA, and many are involved in all sort of activities, such as Greek life, athletics, religious life and others.

Applications to become a Resident Assistant for the 2011-2012 school year are now available in the Residence Life office and are due Nov. 19.