Students seek off campus spooks

By Justine Ackerman

Halloween is a time for exploration and adventure. Pushing outfit boundaries and reaching new levels of horror is what Halloween is all about. Many students find it better to also explore off-campus options when discussing where to celebrate the spooky holiday.

Many students agree that one of the biggest and best off-campus experiences is the Mansfield Reformatory located at 100 Reformatory Road in Mansfield. Beginning Sept. 24, the Reformatory opened their “death row” experience to the public.

“Death row” is a scary tour anyone over the age of 13 is permitted to take, as long as their heart conditions allow them to. Costumes, props and make-up are used by actors to provide a top thrill to anyone looking for a scream.

The thrills are extra chilly when tour groups are led through the hallways of the old prison looking into old cells and seeing “monsters” peeking out from behind the bars. The monsters don’t stay behind bars, however, and tour groups soon find themselves up close and personal with their nightmares.

For any students worried, employees are not allowed to touch visitors and visitors are not allowed to touch employees.

Junior Angie Fair and a group of her friends went to the Reformatory Sept. 30 and she thinks other students should take advantage of the opportunity.

“The Reformatory is worth it,” Fair said. “I had a lot of fun when we went and I recommend it to anyone. It’s really scary and you are in there for long time so it’s worth the [money].”

The Reformatory is open every week from Thursday through Sunday until Oct. 31. Ticket info and hours of operation can be found on the official website, http://www.mrps.org/pages/halloween.

If you pee your pants every time a bloody clown or a man with a chainsaw jumps out you, there are more relaxing ways to enjoy Halloween.

The Honey Haven Farm, located at 1327 CR 1475 in Ashland, provides many varieties of entertainment for people of all ages. But you have to hurry, because the farm will close its doors for the winter Oct. 31.

One of the farm’s many attractions is the haunted corn maze, which is open Oct. 29 and 30.

This year, the corn maze advocates “going green” by having all eight acres of it carved into a recycling symbol among other things, according to the farm’s official website, http://www.honeyhavenfarm.com/fall-festival/corn-maze/. This is an activity perfect for the whole family. The cost is $5 per person eight years and older. Group rates are available and the maze opens at 7:30 p.m.

On Oct. 30, the fall festival and pumpkin patch festivities kick off at noon. Pumpkin picking, horse-drawn wagon rides, pumpkin slingshots and pumpkin ice cream all must be squeezed in before 7 p.m. when the festival shuts down to prepare for night time activities. Admission and parking to the farm is free and photographers are available for family and friend photos, according to the website.

Finally, the Field of Screams is something to think about if you need a little more thrill in your life. It is a separate four-acre corn maze that is open Friday and Saturday, 7:30-11:30 p.m. The cost is $7 per person and the website warns that this maze is not for young children, pregnant women or people with heart and back problems. A children’s haunted corn maze is also open at special times and locations.

Juniors Brandon Gibson and Chelsea Hyatt went to the farm last year and are going again this year. When Gibson was asked if he thinks other students should go to it, his response was positive.

“Yes – it’s a blast,” Gibson said. “Everyone should go. There’s a corn cannon that shoots corn like 200 feet and hits things for prizes and there’s a pumpkin slingshot that does the same thing.”

Gibson also commented that there are all kinds of food at the farm. When asked if he went through the Field of Screams, he laughed.

“No, I didn’t do it but it’s huge.”

While both of these local events are widely popular and great entertainment, many students who leave Ashland’s campus looking for adventure go to other college campuses to find fun.

“Last year, I had a friend who lived at Kent,” junior Sam Whitworth said. “I didn’t like it. The Halloween party I went to was wall-to-wall people and you couldn’t even breathe. There were cops everywhere and it was uncomfortable. A lot of people were drinking and even if you weren’t, you still felt like you were in trouble.”

Whitworth doesn’t recommend going to Kent, but also won’t be staying on Ashland’s campus.

“I’m going to OSU this year. All my friends are there and have houses. It’s just more relaxed and you don’t have to feel guarded. It’s a lot more fun. It’s all about the surroundings.”

Tony Meyer and five other Ashland students are also going to OSU for the weekend. Meyer went last year and wasn’t sure what to expect.

“One of my friends actually lived (and still lives) in an apartment complex building … so they [had] a huge blowout, over 250 people were in one apartment floor,” he said.

Meyer is hoping that this year there is an even better turn out.

“I’m hoping it’s better this year cause last year I went by myself…and this year I’m bringing five friends and I’m hoping other people bring more too,” he said.

As far as what makes OSU better than Ashland, Meyer said: “What makes OSU better? Read everything I just [said].”

Junior Ashley Gonzales said she has done family-oriented things in the past.

“I’ve never gone anywhere really,” Gonzales said. “Before I went home and passed out candy. I don’t really like dressing up.”

Even though she doesn’t normally do it, this year Gonzales will be at a Halloween party and she is going as Enchanted Alice, complete with teal dress.

No matter where students are going or what they are doing, Halloween is sure to be a thrill.