Ashland blows Lake Erie out of the water

By Nick Zavarella

For the first time in school history, the Ashland University Eagles’ swimming and diving team was atop the polls and they didn’t disappoint. The men, ranked No. 1 going into last Saturdays meet against Lake Erie, triumphed as well as the No. 2 ranked AU women’s team.

This being the first year Lake Erie is in the GLIAC, their swimming program is up-and-coming. Senior Andy May says they had about six or seven male swimmers.

“They are fairly decent swimmers, they just need to get their numbers up,” May said. “I’m happy to have another team in the conference.”

The meet turned out to be an exhibition for AU to try some new things.

Nov. 15, junior Maura Anderson was named the GLIAC female swimmer of the week because of her efforts over the weekend. This marks the second time this season Anderson has received the award. Anderson swam to a pool and team record in the 100 breaststroke last Saturday with a time of 1:04.73. Anderson was also named the national female swimmer of the week by the College Swimming Coaches of America earlier in the year.

The first event and victory for the women was the 200 medley relay. Freshman Sara Reidler, Anderson, senior Allison Morgan and sophomore Julie Widmann took first place with a final time of 1:47.45. The Storm finished with a time of 2:00.69.

Senior Stephanie Greggila beat out Lake Eries’ Casey Wendall by just about nine seconds in the 1000 freestyle. Fellow senior Megan Polak won the 200 freestyle over the Storms’ Ashley Rand with a time of 2:03.21.

The 100 backstroke went to AU’s Julie Widmann who had a very successful day. Her time in the 100 backstroke was 59.22 annihilating the second place time of 1:22.54.

Anderson came back to win the 100 yard breaststroke while Kelsey Brooks won the 200 butterfly. Senior Allison Morgan beat out Storm swimmer, Ashley Rand to win the 50 freestyle with a time of 24.72

Junior Mary Cargill swam the 100 freestyle in 55.13 taking first place away from Rand who finished with a time of 58.97. Freshman Jessica Steible whooped the competition in the 200 backstroke turning in a time of 2:22.57. Second place was a distant 30 seconds behind.

The Storm found success in the 200 breaststroke when Lauren Menicucci and Gabby Seraphin swam into first and second place respectively. Ashland’s Nicole Birchmeier finished in third (2:44.74).

Kirsten Wengerd brought home first place in the 500 freestyle ahead of three Storm swimmers. Allison Morgan also found success against the Storm earning nine points with a time of 59.15.

Sophomore Callie Jedrzekek won the 3 mtr dive. Jenna Lindner, also a sophomore, won the 200 IM. Finally, the 400 freestyle relay was won by AU with a time of 3:39.17. The storm didn’t finish until 4:38.61.

The men started things off in the 200 medley relay with a win and a time of 1:33.55 followed by another first place victory in the 200 freestyle. Sophomore Jonny Kleinhenz finished with a time of 1:45.55. Matt Cook edged out the Storm’s Daniel Torres for the 100 backstroke victory before freshman Corey Wengerd won the 100 backstroke.

Cody Roller won the 50 freestyle ahead of three Lake Erie swimmers. The 200 backstroke was won by Lake Erie but Tyler Remmel grabbed second with a time of 2:01.90.

May won the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:25.73 defeating the Storm’s Nick Brown who finished in 3:00.46. This one of three races for May and his only first place finish.

Ashland sported many swimmers trying new events so May stepped in for the 200 breaststroke.

“We got to pick our events so we picked events we don’t normally do,” May said. “I wanted to see what I could do. If we had our main guy in there, Cheyne Fisher, he would have beaten me by 20 seconds.”

The men continued rolling along winning the 500 freestyle with ease followed by Chewy Vogele taking the 100 butterfly. The 3 mtr dive was a clean sweep for Ashland as Lee Drugan, Josiah Galat and Colin MacDonald each earned points.

The 400 freestyle relay was the final event won by Ashland. Roller, Wengerd, Tyler Clark and Daugherty finished with a time of 3:23.63.

The swimming and diving team will compete at home for the final time January 8 against Wright State.