Student assaulted outside library

By Missy Loar

Three white college-aged males reportedly assaulted a student and harassed a staff member late at night Feb. 17. The Ashland City Police were called to conduct a search of campus but they did not find the subjects.

“It could well be a rare incident, but we will not take any chances,” Vice President of Student Affairs Sue Heimann said.

The first victim was an Information Technology staff member walking by the Ashland University Library.

“One of the young men said something kind of belligerent…and knocked some things out of his hands,” Heimann said.

Shortly after that incident, a student walking and talking on a cell phone in the same area also observed three white college-aged males, according to Heimann. One of the unknown subjects hit the student in the head from behind.

Heimann said the student was transported to the emergency room but sustained no serious injuries.

It is unknown whether the same three individuals were responsible for both incidents, but Heimann said the university believes the subjects were likely the same. Students leaving The Well earlier in the evening also reported seeing three white college-aged males.

An e2Campus emergency notification message was immediately sent out to inform students of the incidents.

Heimann said the number of escorts requested by students increased that night.

“That’s exactly what we would hope for,” she said.

Although statistics show that incidents like these are relatively rare at AU, according to Heimann, she said students should still be careful.

“Anything that can happen anywhere else can happen at Ashland University.”