Spring football should put young players on center stage

By AU Sports Info

When the Ashland University football team opened spring football practice Monday, March 28, head coach Lee Owens began auditioning for the lead role in a western.

Owens has a full stable at the Dwight Schar Football Complex. On his piece of land, he will be trying to herd a group of dark horses, plow horses and quarter horses.

This spring practice is a time for youngsters who have not made a name for themselves to emerge.

Those are the dark horses. Plow horses are those program players who come to work day after day and relentlessly set a tone for the team.

Spring practice is an opportunity for them to emphasize their importance and lock down a job.

As for the quarter horses, those are the players in camp who are looking to harness their speed and skill set and blend into the game plan.

The spring wraps up with the annual Purple and Gold Spring Game, which will be played Thursday, April 21, at 7 p.m. There are three scrimmages that AU fans might also want to watch. Those are listed below.

Saturday – April 2 – Noon

Saturday – April 9 – 9 a.m.

Saturday – April 16 – 7:30 a.m.

AU went 8-3 last season and ended the year on a seven-game winning streak.

Here are some of the issues and situations the Eagles will work through in this spring session.

– The Eagles lose three veterans in their offensive line – center Matt Knez, tackle Kyle Stout and guard Justin Magruder. How will the Eagles go about filling those holes?

“We have holes we have to fill in the offensive line and wide receiver,” Owens said. “When you look at those spots in the spring, the cupboard is bare. On the offensive line, a lot of young players will get long looks. But we’re probably only 10 or 11 deep.”

Owens points out that some of AU’s best young offensive linemen won’t participate in the spring due to injuries.

For that reason, the identity of this line probably won’t be forged until August.

“We don’t want to panic in terms of the offense,” Owens said. “You don’t want to panic in the spring. Some guys are competing for the first time and other guys aren’t healthy. We might not get a good look until everyone returns. The same thing is true at wide receiver and running back.”

Sophomore offensive lineman Kenny Noble will not play this spring due to injury and sophomore Frank Whitaker is also still ailing.

Those two, plus sophomore Brandon Gibson, freshman Balil Knight and redshirt freshman Zach Vermilion are expected to play key roles up front in 2011.

– The Eagles lose Joe Horn (49 catches, 878 yards, 12 TD) and Christian Livingston (36 catches, 612 yards, 4 TD) at wide receiver. Is there anyone left that the Eagles can count on to be a threat at wide receiver?

“We think we have re-loaded at wide receiver through recruiting,” Owens said. “But you aren’t going to see those players this spring. Like all spring practices, you want to see the younger players on your team. You want to take a look at players you didn’t get a chance to see in the fall. Graduation has robbed us at both wide receiver and the offensive line and not just with the starters.”

– Can the Eagles find help for tailback D.J. McCoy during spring practice?

Again, Owens believes help is coming in the recruiting class. But look for AU to give plenty of work this spring to sophomore Justin White-Reid. McCoy had 255 carries last season.

No other running back had more than White-Reid’s 36 carries.

Quarterback Taylor Housewright was second on the team in rushing attempts (84).

“There’s some good competition coming in the recruiting class,” Owens said. “We’ve moved Da’Vell Winters to wide receiver, to the slot position. Cody Burton is someone we want to take a good look at, he had a good fall on the scout team and in the fall scrimmages. We want to give Justin White-Reid every chance we can. DJ will play this spring, but we don’t want, or need, to play him a lot. We know what he can do.”

Burton is a freshman from Oregonia, Ohio.