Women’s basketball team adds Daugherty

By AU Sports Info

Ashland University women’s basketball coach Sue Ramsey announced today that Kari Daugherty, a 6-1 guard-forward, is transferring to AU from the University of Dayton.

“We are thrilled to have Kari join our program,” Ramsey said. “She is a great person and a very talented athlete. Kari brings a wealth of experience both through an outstanding high school career and two quality years at the University of Dayton. She is a perfect fit for the Eagles and we are so thankful to have her as part of our team.”

Daugherty will be a junior at Ashland. Over the last two years at Dayton, she scored 389 points and averaged 6.0 ppg. and 16.0 minutes per game. She was named to the All-Atlantic 10 Rookie team as a freshman. This past season, Daugherty was honored as a CoSIDA Second Team Academic All-District pick. In 2010-2011, Daugherty averaged 6.0 ppg., 2.9 rpg. and 17.5 mpg. She played in 33 games and started six. Daugherty is the younger sister of Kristin Daugherty, who is UD’s fifth all-time leading scorer.

The Flyers have advanced to the NCAA Tournament each of the last two years. Dayton finished as the runner-up at the 2011 Atlantic 10 Tournament. UD was 21-12 this past season.

“Ashland is a great fit for what I’ve been looking for,” said Daugherty. “It’s only about an hour away from home and that was the first reason I even looked here. I want to be closer to my family and Ashland University allows me to receive a quality education while still being close to them.

“Also, the spiritual aspect of the school is wonderful,” Daugherty said. “When the girls gave me a tour of the campus, I could hear in their voices how great they honestly thought the FCA program at Ashland was and how much they’ve grown from it. The players and coaching staff are all great people and I am really looking forward to getting to know them more and being a part of something that I believe can be really special.”

Daugherty played at River View High School before going to Dayton.

She was a two-time first team all-state selection in basketball and the 2009 co-player of the year.

She played on teams that claimed state championships in 2006 and 2007 and a team that was the state runner-up in 2009. While she played at River View, the Black Bears were 95-7.

In conference play, River View was 55-1 and won four consecutive league titles.

Daugherty is River View’s second all-time leading scorer with 1,740 points and the second all-time leading rebounder with 847 rebounds.

She is first in career free throw percentage (83.0) and holds school records for highest single-season free throw percentage (92.0) and consecutive free throws made (52).

In addition to her exploits in basketball, Daugherty was a first team all-state pick in volleyball.

Daugherty is the daughter of Bill and Caroline Daugherty. Bill Daugherty played basketball at Wilmington College (1982-86) and is a member of the school’s hall of fame.

Caroline Daugherty played basketball at Ohio University (1982-86) and is a member of OU’s hall of fame. She was a first team Academic All-America.

Daugherty’s sister, Kristin, was a four-time All-Atlantic 10 Conference selection.