‘I Am’…a graduating senior

By Missy Loar

I Am graduating, whether I‘m ready or not.

I Am not going to write a sappy goodbye column. I Am, however, going to reflect on the past four years in a way that I hope will be entertaining.

I Am… the girl who tumbled down most of the big, tall staircase in the Student Center my freshman year after Mr. University in front of 30+ people, all of whom had wide eyes and gaping mouths.

I Am… the girl who woke up half my floor freshman year by screaming at the sudden appearance of a spider, which my roommate kindly flung over to my bed after it crawled across the covers and woke her up.

I Am… the girl who woke up half my floor again sophomore year when I locked myself out due to a misconceived notion that I could throw my McDonald’s cup in the trash can without letting go of my doorknob; I am still laughing about the fact that everyone woke up to my knocking except my roommate, who had only been in bed for 10 minutes.

I Am… still shaking my head over the fact that I had to wash my bedding around 2 a.m. junior year after I sat on a houseplant, which I stupidly placed on my bed in order to prevent myself from knocking it off the windowsill while opening the window.

I Am… the recipient of several honors convocation and departmental awards over the years, despite the preceding examples of my moronic tendencies.

I Am… one of the girls who stored ice cream on the Myers awning when it didn’t fit in my freezer.

I Am… shocked I never tripped the alarm in Convo by opening one of the emergency doors.

I Am… knocking on wood in hopes that the previous sentence is still true when I graduate.

I Am… surprised I’m still learning things about AU.

I Am… disappointed I never knew you could get plain slices of yummy bacon from the deli station in Convo.

I Am… not surprised I’m still learning, because AU has taught me about a wide variety of subjects, including myself.

I Am… going to miss the “little” things, like the Clark vending machine, the A&H elevator, cheddar rounds and my favorite eagle statue (the one outside the Student Center, who has glasses, like me; his name is Earl).

I Am… glad I wrote for the Collegian – for a million reasons, really, but in part because it has helped me get to know the campus community better; I am sure I’ve met more people through reporting than I could ever have met in my everyday life.

I Am… pleased to say I have no regrets from the last four years.

I Am… taking back that last statement; I am quite sure I regret taking that geology class.

I Am… not going to pretend that my college years have been perfect, or that there aren’t any times I’d like to forget.

I Am… who I am, however, because of every moment, be it happy or sad, embarrassing or exciting, painful or peaceful, dark or drab.

I Am… stronger today than I was four years ago.

I Am… making fun of our slogan, in case you haven’t noticed; I am proud to join the Collegian tradition of doing so.

I Am… obliged to admit, however, that I am Known, Confident, Connected, Enriched and Strengthened, despite the fact that I am not on a banner.

I Am… also an individual, and I am accented.

I Am… proud to say that I Am Ashland.