The Secret Menu: The Combo Cream

By Nick Zavarella

For this edition of The Secret Menu, I chose the place just about every student living on campus goes. After stuffing your face with the mediocre Convo food, many students turn to the dessert area. Sorry, you might know it better as “fat bar.”

The main problem I have with the desserts here at AU is the lack of Drumsticks. Seriously, they are awesome and never there. Back on point, the other problem I have is the fact that I never know what to get. Not a bad thing, but it creates awkward moments as students are circling the desserts like sharks.

Fat bar always seems to offer a variety of delicious snacks, which makes choosing just one difficult. The Secret Menu is here to help.

I decided to go to each station and grab the most appealing dessert. I got a glass, a knife and combined. The result, as you might have guessed, wasn’t so appetizing.

From the new freezer, next to the door that freshmen walk out of religiously, I grabbed an orange push-pop since THERE WEREN’T ANY DRUMSTICKS! From the cookie case, I grabbed an apple bar and from the pie case, I chose the vanilla rice pudding. To finish things off, I got a scoop of Birthday Cake.

I combined all the desserts in my glass and mixed. The result was more like vomit than a dessert. However, the combination of everything wasn’t bad on the taste buds. If you can get past the fact that you’re eating something with a consistency of vomit, The Combo Cream is worth trying.

I will say though, if you try it, switch the rice pudding for something, anything else. The rice in the pudding was by far the most disgusting part about this dessert. If the rice pudding is replaced, The Combo Cream would actually be a delicious dessert and perfect for those of us who just can’t decide.

The push-pop and apple bar proved to be the most prominent tastes once you figure out how to eat it. I started off with a spoon but switched halfway through to just drinking it.

Overall, with the rice pudding, I give The Combo Cream a D-. The consistency is simply too close to what is spewed up and offered to the porcelain gods. If the pudding is replaced, let’s face it, how can combining desserts end badly? Because of that, I would give The Combo Cream a solid B.