March Madness comes to an end

By Christina Miadich

Never underestimate the motivation and desire of a team that wants a win badly enough. March Madness this year really proved that to all of its followers, since only one No. 1 seed was able to make it to the elite eight but then was knocked out by an eleventh seed.

It is safe to say that no one on campus was even close to having a perfect bracket this year.

“I thought Ohio State was going all the way and I think most of the campus brackets were wrong once we got that bad news…I was bitter the rest of the games,” senior Amber Bollinger said.

Bollinger was not the only student on campus who felt this way.

“The tournament was crap,” sophomore Phil Galaska said. “I lost my men’s and women’s brackets because the number one seeds sucked.”

Many were angry at the outcomes of the basketball games this year, but others enjoyed the upsets because it made the tournament more exciting to watch.

Watching an eleventh seed make it to the final four reminded people that the underdogs have just as much determination to win as a one seed does. The strive to win is what wins championships; the seed is just a number.

“The tournament was crazy this year and for the first time in a long time I didn’t have a single final four team,” sophomore Matt Bambauer said. “It shows you that the small schools are catching up and competing with the big schools, which makes it more exciting to watch.”

Sophomore Kate Bruning had similar thoughts as Bambauer did.

“I think the tournament was kind of cool because it’s nice to see those little schools no one’s heard of make it that far,” Bruning said.

“The only thing that sucked was having all the upsets and last minute wins and having it come down to a very crappy final.”

It is safe to say that the championship game was one of the worst tournaments games that many have seen.

Thirty-one of 119 shots combined of both teams from the field were made in the entire game. This statistic shows that middle grades children could have played a more exciting game.

Students on campus are not the only ones that have strong feelings about the NCAA tournament this year; the faculty do as well.

“The NCAA keeps adding more teams and adding more games and I think you are starting to see the results of that -less quality and some very tired teams by the end,” Steve Hannan, director of Public Relations, said.

“The championship game was a joke. It was like watching two very bad high school teams.”

Many would agree with Hannan on the championship game; it was just an all-around depressing and disappointing game to watch.

Even though it cost people all their chances to win any money with their bracket, the dedicated underrated teams were what made this NCAA tournament exciting.