Men’s track finishes third at Miami invite

By AU Sports Info

Rain and a strong field could not derail the AU men’s track team over the weekend. Competing at the Miami of Ohio Invitational, the Eagle men placed third out of 17 teams.

The weather caused several delays during the meet. Finally, when the results were complete Saturday night, Miami had the team title with 116 points. Kent State was second with 115 points and the Eagles took third place with 98 points. Findlay (74) finished fourth.

The Eagles had a well-balanced effort, scoring points up and down the lineup. Sophomore Cory Lamar won a gold medal in the 400 (47.83) and junior Cyrus Granger was first in the 400 hurdles (53.18). Kurt Roberts was first in the shot put and established a track record (63-2). Cory Meuleman led the field in the discus with a throw of 168-0 and in the hammer, AU took the first two spots. The gold medal went to junior Ryan Loughney with a mark of 228-1 and sophomore Garrett Grey was second. Grey’s best throw measured 210-11. Senior Mike Jeffery was fifth (185-11) in the event.

The Eagles also received a second place finish in the 800 from senior Tom Scott. His time was 1:52.60.  The 4X1 relay was third in 42.28. That quartet included sophomore Jordan Hoppel, freshman Keith Cleveland, sophomore Justin Chappell and Lamar.

The Ashland women’s team finished eighth out of 17 teams. Miami had 111 points to win the team championship. Cincinnati (105) was the runner-up and Western Michigan (85) was third. The Eagles had 34 points.

Senior Abby Kacsandi finished second in the high jump with a leap of 5-4.25. Cincinnati’s Kaitlyn Good won the gold medal at 5-6. Senior Steph Tinney was fourth in the 800 (2:14.16) and senior Steph Abbott was fourth in the long jump (18-00.5).