Four Eagles finished first at All-Ohio meet

By AU Sports Info

The Ashland University men’s track and field squad placed third at the All-Ohio Championships, hosted by the University of Cincinnati April15-16. Both the AU men’s and women’s teams were the top Division II teams at the meet. The AU women finished sixth overall. Both squads defeated several Division I programs in the state.

The men’s squad had three top placers at the meet. Sophomore Cory Lamar was the top finisher in the 400-meter dash with a time of 47.98 seconds. Senior Kurt Roberts led all athletes in the shot put with a launch of 61 feet 2 inches.

Four of the top six finishers in the hammer throw were Eagles.

Senior Chase Sniadecki won the event with a throw of 197 feet 8 inches. Junior Craig Call was third, junior Cory Mueleman finished fourth and senior Mike Jeffery was sixth.

The men’s 4×100 and 4×400 squads both finished in second place at the meet.

The 4×100 team, which clocked in at 41.84 seconds, consisted of sophomore Jordan Hoppel, freshman Keith Cleveland, sophomore Justin Chappell and Lamar.

The 4×400 team finished with a time of 3:17.41 and consisted of freshman Jacob Cook, junior Cyrus Granger, Cleveland and Lamar.

Junior Tyler Kriem was second in the javelin throw with a heave of 195 feet 9 inches. Granger was also second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 53.30 seconds.

Sophomore Brock Weaver ran the 10,000-meter run in 31:15.12, which earned him a third-place finish.

Junior Tom Scott was fourth in the 800-meter dash with a time of 1:55.18.

Hoppel ran the 100-meter dash in 11.13 seconds to place fifth at the meet. Senior Matt Stratman was fifth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.

On the women’s side, the Eagles dominated the heptathlon as four of the top seven finishers were from Ashland.

Senior Abby Kacsandi won the event with 4,798 points. Senior Lisa Roth was third in the event, while junior Cheryl Bourne was fourth and sophomore Kendra Bassitt was seventh.

Junior Kelly Ash finished second in the shot put with a throw of 49 feet, 4.25 inches. Roth was third in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:04.04. Kacsandi placed third in the triple jump with a distance of 38 feet 11.75 inches.

Sophomore Stephanie Stoffel finished fourth in the 5,000-meter run, clocking in with a time of 17:32.76.

In the 800-meter dash, Steph Tinney was fifth with a time of 2:16.27.

Senior Tara Cooper was fifth in the hammer throw with a heave of 181 feet 11 inches.