New coach looking to rejuvinate volleyball program

By Byron Reyna-Corzo

The Ashland volleyball team is back for another season and they look to prove that youth can succeed.

The team has two returning seniors in outside hitter Anesia Benton and Libero Arian Martin, two juniors, five sophomores, and three freshmen. Along with the youth on the court, the Eagles have a new head coach in Cass Dixon, a former assistant at Akron. Coach Dixon will be assisted by Carey Cavanaugh and Jenn Fepke.

The team is coming off a 17-13 (10-9 GLIAC South) season in 2010 and are expected to improve despite the coaching change. The preseason polls have the Eagles taking second in the GLIAC South Division, with one first place vote.

While the Eagles have eight sophomores and freshmen, the team is returning multiple key players from last season to help make Coach Dixon’s transition easier.

Senior Anesia Benton is coming off a season in which she had 282 kills, six solo blocks and 40 block assists. Returning alongside Benton is junior outside hitter Brittany Snider, the team leader in kills last season with 429, as well as 35 service aces and 239 digs. Sophomores Kate Eckels (339 Kills, 271 digs and 21 total blocks) and Baley Bernthisel (97 kills and 76 total blocks, including 24 solo) also return this season and look to be key contributors. Senior Libero Arian Martin also returns after leading the team in digs last season with 467.

While the team looks young on paper, most of those young players have contributed already and don’t look to have a drop off this year, instead improving their game. In fact, the Eagles face an early test in their first four games of the season, including a game against the No. 19 ranked West Florida squad. The team plays four games in two days at the University of Indianapolis invitational in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Eagles then have a five game home stand before heading out on the road once more.

Coach Dixon isn’t new to this team in the respect that she has worked with the Eagles before. Dixon was an assistant coach back in 2006, the year in which the Eagled won their lone GLIAC championship. That team advanced to the NCAA Division II Elite Eight as well, finishing in fifth place at the NCAA Championships with a 23-10 record. The following year, with Dixon still as an assistant, the team went 26-6 and was invited to the NCAA regional tournament.

Dixon’s last head coaching job was a positive one. While coaching at Walsh, she went 163-43 (.791 winning percentage) and won two conference titles in the American Mideast Conference, while also winning three NAIA regional titles, going to three NAIA tournaments, and making an Elite Eight appearance. She also received AMC and Region IV Coach of the Year Honors twice.

“I’m very excited to be back at Ashland, I’ve always thought this would be a great place to be a head coach,” Dixon said.

She also said that it is a pleasure to be able to work with her coaching staff as well as the student-athletes on the team. The tradition of Ashland is what makes Coach Dixon excited about being back, not just with volleyball but with the rest of the sports and the success that they have had as well.

This season looks very hopeful, but Dixon refuses to let the hype of the season get to the team. “The opportunity to be great is there, it’s just whether we take advantage of that. We have outstanding student athletes, but it’s a day-by-day process and we will continue to work hard,” she said. “Even though we’re on the younger side, the team has a lot of game experience.”

Coach Dixon also said that the team chemistry is great and the team is bonding well, and that the incoming players are all adjusting well too.

The GLIAC conference predicts the team to place second in the South Division this season, despite the coaching change and youth of the team.

“It’s great! In the end though, if we come out first it’ll be even better, Dixon said. “Our goal is just to have a successful season, to be competitive in every match and be respected by the other teams on the court. If we can do that, the wins will follow.”

This season, the Eagles look to be great. There is a lot of talent returning on the team and with the mindset that Coach Dixon has about taking it day-by-day, this team has what it takes to be successful. The team has worked hard all preseason and is ready to play and get the season underway.