Women’s soccer back to .500

By Chris Bils

The women’s soccer team went 2-1 last week, moving their record to 3-3-1 (2-2-1 GLIAC). Ashland scored four goals and conceded three. Freshman Kathleen Demaree scored her second and third goals of the season, one in each of the team’s wins.

Lake Erie (1-3-1, 0-2-0 GLIAC)

Ashland scored a go-ahead goal in the 34th minute of their game against Lake Erie on Wednesday when freshman Amanda Johns tapped in a loose ball from three yards out. The Eagles were able to hold on for the win despite not scoring in the second half.

Ashland was forced to come from behind after the Storm’s Chelsea Giesen scored a goal with just over a minute gone in the match. Giesen received a pass from Robin Hames 20 yards away from the goal and was able to lift a shot over AU keeper Rebecca Plescia.

Ashland answered back in the 8th minute with an early goal of its own. Sophomore Katelyn Peterson sent in a corner kick that found Kathleen Demaree at the far post. Demaree was able to head the ball in for her second goal of the season.

Sophomore Tani Lopez contributed to the go-ahead goal by making a hustle play on a 50-50 ball inside the box.

“Tani did a good job of defending and running through the (Lake Erie) defenders,” Johns said. “The ball bounced off of her and landed at my feet. I got lucky to get a touch on it right into the goal.”

Coach Glenn Francis was pleased with the result but thought his team could have played better at times.

“It was a tale of two halves,” he said. “In the first half we played really well, but in the second half we played like we were a JV team. We’ve just got to learn how to play from in front. We’re a young team and we’re getting better.”

At Ohio Dominican (0-3-1, 0-1-1 GLIAC)

The Eagles allowed a goal in the second minute on Friday against Ohio Dominican. It was the second time in as many games that the team fell behind early. On Friday, unlike the previous game against Lake Erie, Ashland was unable to recover and lost to the Panthers 2-0.

Megan Augusta scored the first goal off a cross by Sierra Patterson. The Panthers’ second goal came in the 72nd minute off another Patterson cross. Jennifer Holton finished from seven yards out, putting the game out of reach.

The Eagles were outshot in the game 13-8 and were unable to convert on seven corner kicks. Plescia had seven saves for AU.

At Walsh (4-0)

On Sunday at Walsh, it was Ashland’s turn to score an early goal on the way to a 2-0 victory over the previously unbeaten Cavaliers.

Demaree scored her third goal of the season just 56 seconds into the action off a corner kick by fellow freshman Megan Zealer. Zealer got on the score sheet 28 minutes later when she scored an unassisted goal from the center of the penalty area. The Eagles dominated play in the first half, outshooting the Cavaliers 6-0.

Ashland outshot Walsh 15-7 for the game and held a 6-0 advantage on corner kicks.

Ashland currently sits in second place in the GLIAC South Division and will return to conference play at 7 p.m. Friday at home against Ferris State (2-4-1, 2-1-1 GLIAC). The Eagles will then face their toughest test of the season at 2 p.m. on Sunday when they host No. 14 Grand Valley State (3-0-2, 3-0 GLIAC).