Ashland’s Fall Festival of Arts

By Dan Griffin

The Coburn Art Gallery isn’t the only student resource for viewing and appreciating the aesthetic talents of Ashland. The Fall Festival of Arts will be returning to Brookside West Park on October 15th for its second year to showcase artists from around the area.

Carl Renneker, an Ashland resident, is the founder of the festival and a stain glass artist himself. Renneker started the annual festival because he believed there was a lack of art appreciation in the Ashland area.

“I thought about it for over a year,” Renneker said. “There’s a lot of work involved. I decided to just go ahead and try it. I just thought it would help the people and artists of Ashland.”

The festival consists of mainly handcrafted work, such as jewelry, paintings and wood sculpture. All venders must submit an application in order to showcase and sell their work at the festival. This is so only the most impressive and unique work is displayed. Renneker anticipates over 50 venders this year, all of which are top quality.

“The quality of venders is a lot better this year,” Renneker said. “I think there will be some venders that people are just going to love. There’s even a gal who takes wristwatches and old clocks and turns them into jewelry. I know people will love it.”

Last year’s festival was so well received that very little is expected to change this year. Renneker was stunned when he spoke with the venders hoping for feedback and didn’t receive one negative comment.

“I didn’t hear anything bad about [the festival],” Renneker said. “I really didn’t. I figured I messed something up. I tried to learn from everyone but everything went so well. I’m keeping it mostly the same.”

Renneker hopes that more Ashland residents and students will come out this year and check out what Ashland has to offer.

“I would just like for people in the community to come out. Obviously we would love for them to buy items from the venders but we’re going to have some food, elephant ears, funnel cakes, kettle corn… I want people to have a good time and come out and see something they haven’t seen before.”

Ashland University students are also welcome to submit an application to showcase their work.

“I would not hesitate if a student wanted to set up a booth,” Renneker said. “There’s a lot of talent in this area and if an art student wants to submit an application that would be great.”

The Fall Festival of Arts will take place at 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Oct. 15 at Brookside West Park. More information and application forms can be found on the festivals website: http://ashlandfallfestival.com.