Bludgers and broomsticks and beaters, oh my!

By Kate Brickner

It is 7:30 p.m. and on the intramural field across from a group of girls soccer players are three college kids, anxiously waiting with broomsticks in hand.

“GO!” Like that, they each put the broomsticks between their legs, grab a dodge ball and start sprinting toward a hula hoop ten feet off the ground. What could they possibly be doing? Practicing for their first Quidditch game. Quidditch is a fictional sport that author J.K. Rowling created in the Harry Potter book series and it has become a hit on many campuses all over the world, including Harvard and Ohio State.

How it works: Quidditch has multiple positions; Chasers are offensive players tasked with trying to score points by throwing balls called “Quaffles” through hoops. Opposing defensive players, Keepers, serve as the hoop’s protector and must guard the goal. Other positions are the Beaters, who try to knock each other off of their broomsticks through the use of balls called “Bludgers.” Whichever team has the highest score wins but the only way to end the game is when a special player called a “Seeker” (only one on each team) catches the Snitch, which moves quickly around the field evading players.

According to the senior who serves as the Quidditch team captain, Amber Gindlesberger, Quidditch is a co-ed, contact sport that includes elements of rugby, soccer, dodge ball and tag. “This is something people have never seen before,” Gindlesberger said. She is extremely excited at the prospect of starting a Quidditch team on campus. Having dedicated last summer to studying Ashland’s guidebooks, she is ready for her favorite sport to become official.

Many Ashland students have not heard about Quidditch because it currently is unaffiliated with Ashland University and is not an official student group. Gindleberger, in wanting to comply with all of Ashland’s many rules regarding organizations, has not advertised for the team since the beginning of this school year. Waiting to find out if Quidditch has been approved, Gindleberger is nervous.

“I have over 30 students on my interest list, as well as 3 faculty/staff who have offered to become our advisor,” she said. “To disappoint the campus community would be heartbreaking…”

Still, she remains positive and cannot wait to start teaching students all about this exciting new sport.

“We are the Harry Potter era,” junior Katy Higaki said at Quidditch practice. Gindleberger believes that all students have to do is see the game in order to be interested. She believes that, if formed, Quidditch would be a great addition to the school. The sport is intense, promoting physical activity to a whole new group of students. In fact, According to the online handbook, the IQA (International Quidditch Association) has three goals it seeks to promote in all of its teams: 1. Foster a culture of creativity; 2. Build, connect, and enhance our communities; and 3. Facilitate competition.

Gindleberger is confident that all three will shine brightly through the Ashland Ashwinds. She has big plans for the team, including hosting tournaments with other schools throughout the country, reaching out to local schools to form Kidditch, (teaching children how to play a less physical form of Quidditch) and having charity games. The International Quidditch Association is, after all, a charity organization as of June this year.

Not only would the community benefit from Quidditch, but Gindleberger is confident that the players themselves would greatly enjoy being on the team. The teamwork aspect is only a fraction of the students can expect to get out of Quidditch.

“There are leadership positions and volunteer opportunities within this organization that would allow students to develop their professionalism, as well as seeking a career after graduation,” Gindleberger said.

If Quidditch is not approved, Gindleberger will then try to make it a community sport and keep it unaffiliated with the university. However, she hopes that this does not happen. As it is mainly a college sport, Gindleberger feels it would be much easier to play with other teams if it was kept an Ashland University activity.

Ashland would also be one of the first small private schools to compete in the internationally recognized game. Students feel it would be extremely interesting to be at the helm of something so new and exciting.

If students would like to play Quidditch but are not familiar with the books, need not fret. Ashland’s Quidditch team does not hold tryouts. It is all-inclusive, and Gindleberger assured it would not take more than one or two practices for a student to get the hang of it.

In fact, on Sept. 11, eight Ashland students played against Bowling Green’s already-established Quidditch team. The game was a source of inspiration for the Ashland players, sophomore Victorialyn Keay said.

“Bowling Green said that they were us last year,” Keav said. “They started off with only a few ragtag players, but yesterday they had recruitment and 45 people showed up. That’s what I hope to see for us. This year is about settling a foundation and getting the support of the school. Next year is about advertising like crazy and strengthening the team.”

The Quidditch players also enjoyed the support of Ashland’s swim team, who even lent a teammate to act as the Snitch. The game was a great learning experience and proved to all of the Ashland Quidditch lovers that they had real support and a fighting chance at being a well-regarded sport. Because that’s just what it is. A sport with a team standing together for one common goal: to prove their worth. Out there on the field, that is exactly what they did that day.