Students heard at Speak-Up

By Andrew Hart

The Ashland University administrators try to have a good reputation when it comes to listening to their students’ suggestions and opinions. One event that the administrators provide based mainly on opinions of the students is the yearly event, Student Speak-Up. Student Speak-Up has many of the administrative members, sometimes faculty members as well, come and listen to what the students have to say, and listen to suggestions or complaints that the students have about the school.

This semester the panel included the following faculty members: Director of Residence Life Cat Geletka, Vice President for Enrollment and Payroll Scott Van Lou, Dean of Students Sue Hyman, Vice President of Facilities Rick Ewing, Matt Portner from Auxiliary Services, Kathy Hall from Registration), Vice President of Information and Technology Curtis White, Director of Recreation Services Janell Molnar, and, of course, President Fred Finks.

As the event began, many students looked to be prepared with questions to ask the panel. Including the mediator for the event, Matt Goldsmith, most of the students in attendance were representing the student senate. Student senate came to the event with many questions to ask.

One question asked by senate member Kim Coates was about the 24 hour visitation rule, and many students were interested in the answer. Cat Geletka responded by saying that changes to that rule could be coming.

“During family weekend, we had the 24 hour visitation rule in effect while students visited with their families,” Geletka said. “We had no problems during family weekend. That may be because of the lack of students on campus, but a 24 hour visitation rule could happen permanently in the future.”

Questions during the event were asked about, for example, more dining options, given the success of the Schar Café. Additional questions were asked regarding the continuation of free laundry services, the College of Nursing curriculum, the recreation room in Clark Hall, and possible tuition increases. Two questions that many students seemed invested in were about the “odd” hours on weekends of the Eagles Nest, and recruiting more students from out of state.

Student senate member Dave Thomas asked the panel a question concerning how the University plans to get more out-of-state students to come to AU.

“We need to define those areas where the University is receiving most of those out-of-state students,” President Finks replied. “We don’t have a formalized plan yet, but it is in the works and we are definitely looking into recruiting more out-of-state students to come to the University.”

A question asked by many of the students in attendance was about the weekend hours of the Eagles Nest. Many distressed students have complained that the Eagles Nest isn’t open as much as it should be on weekends.

With the addition of the new meal plan in which students can use swipes in more places than just Convo, including the Eagles Nest, Tuffy’s and the Schar Café, students feel that the Eagles Nest should have longer hours on Saturdays and Sundays. The Nest currently closes at 4 p.m. on Saturdays and opens at 6 p.m. on Sundays.

Rick Ewing had an answer that made the students very happy.

“We open at 6 p.m. on Sunday because we want students to eat at Convo as well, since the numbers have been down since the new meal plan has been added,” Ewing said, “but concerning the times for Saturday, we are very highly looking into changing the times till later on in the day.”

Many students left student speak-up happy, knowing that their questions and opinions will be looked into.

“I thought the event went really well,” Goldsmith said. “I thought that many issues were brought up that needed to be discussed (and that) the administration was very helpful when it came to settling these issues.”

Students are encouraged to continue to attend student speak-up next semester and in the future so that the opinions, complaints and concerns that the administration hasn’t heard may be brought to light.