AU professor’s book receives Moonbeam award

By Kate Brickner

Dr. David FitzSimmons, an Ashland University English professor for eight years, has just received a prestigious award for his children’s book “Curious Critters.” The professor who attained his PhD from The Ohio State University specializes in visual narratives.

Besides teaching, FitzSimmons is also a freelance photographer and writer. He photographs and writes for various magazines, including Outdoor Photographer, Popular Photography and Shutterbug, as well as newspapers and online publications, and his more than 100 calendar credits include numerous titles by BrownTrout and Barnes & Noble.

FitzSimmons honed all of these skills in education, writing and photography to create his first children’s book, “Curious Critters.” In the press release, the book’s synopsis is given:

“Dr. David FitzSimmons turns his camera on a variety of animals common throughout North America. “Curious Critters” presents stunning images of everyday animals, including a red flat bark beetle, an Eastern spiny softshell turtle, a spotted salamander, and many other intriguing creatures. Each Curious Critter is photographed…showcasing the animals’ colors, textures, and shapes with precision and clarity. Along with each photo is a vignette, told from the critter’s perspective, that educates and entertains.

For example, a bush katydid explains her bubblegum-pink color, a poetic opossum opines upon her often-shortened name, and a far-from-modest black swallowtail butterfly lets readers in on her secret for avoiding predators.”

The book, which took twelve months to write and produce, was created for several reasons.

“Many children do not get sufficient chances to interact with animals and the natural world,” FitzSimmons said. “I wanted to provide an opportunity for children to enjoy seeing and reading about animals found across North America.” In fact, the book meets the National Research Council life science standards for grades K through 4.

There are many things children can learn from the book, including: what turtles and humans have in common, why black swallowtail butterflies impersonates their toxic cousins, how Eastern box turtles can live longer than humans, (over 150 years) if squirrels can fly, how bats find food and why frogs sing.

The book features 21 different animals in photos that are accompanied by profiles, as well as a total of 29 different animal photos. Can you believe that his inspiration came from our very own campus? The Chinese praying mantis was found on campus and the goldfish is in the biology and toxicology department.

The first in a planned series of “Curious Critters” books, it is off to a great start. This book, which has not been out very long, already has a Moonbeam Children’s Book Award under its belt. The Moonbeam Children’s Book Awards are “intended to bring increased recognition to exemplary children’s books and their creators, and to celebrate children’s books and life-long reading. Each year’s entries are judged by expert panels of youth educators, librarians, booksellers and book reviewers of all ages,” according to FitzSimmons, who placed silver in the nonfiction category.

FitzSimmons created a children’s book in hopes that kids will learn to help take care of nature.

“Conserving nature for the long run involves helping children enjoy and become interested in the natural world,” FitzSimmons said. “If children grow to appreciate nature, then hopefully they will conserve the environment and its curious inhabitants.”

He also has two young children himself who love the book.

“Phoebe liked the book so much that she found a copy when we were out of the room, ripped out the American Toad page and began hopping around,” FitzSimmons said. “We were not too upset. What can you say? She loves the animals.”

Visit www.curious-critter.com for more information or to order a copy signed and dedicated by FitzSimmons.