The Collegian places in three ONA university award categories

By Marin Haba

For the second time in three years, The Collegian is a finalist for multiple awards in the Ohio Newspaper Association’s collegiate newspaper competition.

The Collegian is a finalist in Best Headline, Best Website and once again, Best Arts and Entertainment Coverage. The awards are presented based on the work of last year’s published paper.

The competition is divided into two classes. The first class is for newspapers that publish three or more times a week, while the second class is for newspapers that publish less than three times a week.

In its first competing year, 2010, The Collegian received two awards from the ONA. Its first award was second place in Best News Coverage. Its second award was for Best Arts and Entertainment Coverage, where it earned third place.

Last year’s Collegian managing editor, alumna Missy Loar, was especially excited to hear of the paper’s accomplishments.

“I was surprised and honored,” said Loar, who is now a reporter at the Ashland Times-Gazette.

In strides to improve the campus newspaper, Loar tried to make the Collegian staff the best it could be. She encouraged a support system for her staff, knowing that it would produce their best work.

Although putting the paper together week to week was challenging, it was a challenge Loar enjoyed. Her attempts at being an involved editor paid off. Becoming a finalist in the ONA was certainly something Loar thought about throughout the year and hoped the staff would achieve. The required amount of work and long hours in the Collegian office was worth it, based on the paper’s recognition in the three categories.

To be a finalist in the category Best Website was especially an honor for the newspaper. In September 2010, the Collegian launched a much needed, brand-new website. This allowed for easier access and navigation of the stories written each week.

In contrast to the previous site, a list of stories was created so they could be found without searching specifics. Junior Glenn Battishill, the newspaper’s arts and entertainment editor, ran the website last year. Battishill was in charge of manually redesigning home pages for each section of the website.

The job required a lot of tedious work and late nights but according to Battishill, it was worth it.

“It was definitely a learning experience. I had to adapt as it went along,” Battishill said.

The website can be accessed at www.ashlandcollegian.com.

The Collegian is not only written by JDM majors but anybody interested on campus. The involvement of more students would allow for better coverage of what’s happening on our campus day to day.