AU takes over Ashland Country Club restaurant and banquet hall

By Jamie Neal

Ashland University expands its opportunity pool for students starting March 1, as auxiliary services takes over operations of the Ashland Country Club Restaurant and Banquet Services. This will be a one-year pilot program, according to president Dr. Fred Finks.

Matt Portner, director of auxiliary services, said that the details are not ironed out yet, but there will be several opportunities for servers, advertising and marketing.

Portner said it will be a great opportunity for the school and students to “step out and do things that we don’t normally do. We don’t have a retail dinner program and this is going to be a big thing for parents to enjoy when they visit their students.”

The dining program will benefit Ashland community residents as well.

“[It] sounds like a good idea, it will give people a chance to show what they can do, instead of just sitting in a classroom. The real world experience will be nice,” freshman Haley Troyer said.

New opportunities open to AU students include more options for internships, projects, real world experience and possibly other perks, according to Portner.

“There will probably be some sort of discount for students with an Ashland University ID,” Portner said.

Finks said the University will not be involved in any management of the golf course, swimming pool or tennis courts, and will not be responsible for any maintenance of the restaurant or banquet facility.

Portner said that the biggest projects to get resolved before the anticipated date of operation is getting the “liquor and health codes transferred over to the Country Club.”