AU baseball 4-5 since returning from Florida

By Kevin Stoicovy

The baseball team started off its season with a spring training trip to Central Florida to play in the Russ Matt Invitational.  The team played a total of 11 games down south and finished with a record of 6-5.  The trip was highlighted by a win against nationally ranked No. 15 Minnesota State-Mankato, which they won by a score of 8-4. 

The Eagles returned from spring training in Central Florida to play their first three home games of the season last week. The team played a double-header on March 17 against Malone University, who will enter play as a new member of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference next year.

On Wednesday, March 21, the baseball team hosted Walsh University, who will also become a member of the GLIAC next season. The Eagles also began GLIAC Conference play at Northwood University, where they played four games in two days on March 24 and 25. 

Game 1 vs. Malone, W 4-3

The Eagles started their double header against Malone with a close victory, 4-3.  They got off to a quick 3-0 lead in the first inning thanks to a two-run home run by sophomore third baseman Tyler Gray and an RBI single by junior catcher John Broll.  

In the fourth inning, Malone scored three runs to tie the game at 3-3. Senior pitcher Aaron Hilt got the starting nod, and he pitched well as he went six innings and gave up only six hits and three runs.

A clutch pinch-hit RBI single in the bottom of the sixth inning by freshman Stephen James gave the Eagles the lead, 4-3.  Junior pitcher Zach Botjer earned his first save of the season by shutting down Walsh in the top of the seventh inning. Hilt earned his third win of the season.

Game 2 vs. Malone, W 8-2

Ashland ‘s offense recorded ten hits in the second game of its double-header against Malone and won the game 8-2.  

A six-run sixth inning was all that pitchers Brad Thomas and Cole Hudson needed in terms of offensive support. Thomas picked up the win while pitching 5.2 innings, allowing five hits and two earned runs while striking out four. Hudson did not allow a hit in 1.2 innings of work.  Sophomore left fielder Wade Kaido led the Eagles offensively with three hits, including a double and two RBIs. Sophomore catcher Chaz McGrain also recorded two RBIs.

AU vs. Walsh, L 3-5

The Eagles could not get into an offensive rhythm against Walsh and they lost the game 5-3.  

The Eagles recorded nine hits, but a double by freshman Kyle Vozar was AU’s only extra base hit.  

Junior first baseman Austin Erb brought in Ashland’s only two runs of the game on a third inning single. Five Ashland pitchers were accountable for Walsh’s 13 hits and five runs. Cole Hudson was charged with his first loss of the season and now has a record of 1-1.

Games 1 and 2 at Northwood, L 2-4, W 2-1

Erb and Kaido each brought in a run each as AU fell to Northwood in the Eagles’ first GLIAC game of the season. Hilt (3-2) pitched six innings and gave up eight hits and four runs in his second loss of the season.

Brad Thomas pitched a gem in the second game of the double header and led the Eagles to a 2-1 victory. Thomas (3-0) earned his third win of the season by pitching 6.1 innings, giving up only six hits and one run. He also recorded four strikeouts.

Freshman second baseman Giancarlo Saia had a clutch two-RBI double in the top of the seventh inning to put the Eagles ahead late in the game. Botjer earned his second save of the season in .2 innings of work.

Games 3 & 4 at Northwood, W 1-0, L 1-6

Botjer (1-2) earned his first win of the season by pitching a complete game three-hitter in the Eagles’ 1-0 victory.  

Botjer only walked two batters and allowed just five base runners in seven complete innings. Another late run batted in by a freshman put Ashland ahead of Northwood. A sacrifice fly by designated hitter Kyle Vozar in the seventh inning was all that Ashland needed offensively due to Botjer’s spectacular pitching performance. 

Ashland’s offense struggled to score in the second game of the double header. The Eagles only had five hits in the game and could not come up with the clutch hit they needed. They stranded nine base runners in the contest.

Freshman pitcher Zach Wolfe (1-2) was charged with his second loss of the season while giving up three runs on four hits in two innings of work.

The Eagles hosted Tiffin in a double-header Wednesday and will travel to Grand Valley State to take on the defending GLIAC champions in two double-headers Saturday and Sunday.