Help for Haiti is still much needed

Melanie Sudar

Jan. 12, 2010. A 7.0 magnitude earthquake hits Port-au-Prince, Haiti and leaves three million people affected – an estimated 316,000 dead; 300,000 injured; and 1,000,000 homeless. At least 24 aftershocks at a level of 4.5 or greater had been recorded by Jan. 24, and it is estimated that 250,000 residences and about 30,000 commercial buildings were collapsed or severely damaged. As the catastrophe struck, many in America were left clueless about how to help and what to do.

Feb. 21, Haitian student Bertin Meance held a seminar open to Ashland students and the public entitled “Helping Haiti from Home.” Meance discussed what was needed in Haiti and what kind of efforts students can still be doing now. Although materials were needed directly after the earthquake, Meance said donating cash is better than giving food and materials.

“People know exactly what to do with cash,” he said. Meance also said cash is more useful and can be used in different situations, pointing out that it takes $700 to build a new home and $200 to start a small business.

Meance graduated from AU in 1988, after studying English. He came to Ashland as part of program that made smaller countries aware of America and its culture.

Most of Meance’s discussion was focused on helping a small village called Lafond. After the earthquake, many people were only concerned with sending relief to Port-au-Prince, which had the most damage due to the earthquake. However, as Meance pointed out, there are many other villages in Haiti that need help and attention. Lafond is Meance’s home town, and has been organizing efforts in the village since the earthquake struck two years ago. All of the houses in the village were destroyed but only four deaths were reported. His main concern has been rebuilding the school for the children, as it was destroyed in the earthquake. Fortunately, the school reopened in tents two months after the destruction.

“We were the first school to reopen in Haiti,” he said.

The school reopened with 13 classrooms teaching all grades. Also by this time, 15 out of 250 houses had been rebuilt in Lafond.

Freshman Michelle Andersen attended the seminar and said it was interesting to hear what Meance had to say. She said she went to the seminar out of curiosity and was pleased with the outcome.

“It looked interesting and so I thought I’d try it out,” she said.

Eight months after the terrible earthquake, another disaster infected Haiti: Cholera. The disease began to spread October of 2010 and was unrelated to the earthquake. However, more than 6,000 people died and 250,000 were infected.

Meance said one of his main concerns for Haiti was due to the Cholera outbreak, which was caused by lack of clean water and sanitation. Thankfully, World Connect gave a $9,000 grant to Haiti for Cholera relief. With this money, Meance and other citizens were able to hire a nurse to go door to door with medical assistance and supplies. After nine months, Cholera has disappeared from the country of Haiti.

Meance closed his talk with stating the needs of the people of Haiti today. Although money, food and shelter are still a main concern, Meance again focused on water and sanitation.

“Needs are linked to water and sanitation,” he said. “Good water and sanitation will get rid of the common diseases.”

Andersen said the seminar opened her eyes to the relief still needed in Haiti. She said she didn’t know about the small villages that need help and that Meance’s talk had an impact on her.

“He seemed well-educated on his subject,” she said. “He made me want to make a difference in the world.”

Students are encouraged to visit the Symposium Against Global Indifference’s website and blog for more information at: http://cas-symposium.blogspot.com.