Facebook, Twitter remain popular social media outlets for numerous AU students

By Susan McConnell

Facebook was launched in 2004 and Twitter was launched in 2006. But most people probably had no idea Twitter was founded at that time. Immediately upon becoming popular, Twitter was compared to Facebook.

The overall opinion seemed to be that Twitter was pointless because Twitter is only a site for posting statuses. One can do that and so much more on Facebook. Because of that idea, Twitter, in a sense, is the less talented sibling of the social media world. Especially on the Ashland campus, Facebook has more users than Twitter.

A sample of 96 Ashland students were surveyed about their social media use. There were 31 males and 65 females. Of the 96 students, 44 were freshmen, 25 were sophomores, 23 were juniors and four were seniors. The students were chosen from core classes as to ensure a variety of majors.

The overall amount of Facebook users was almost 90 students. Twitter had slightly over 50 students users. Twitter use on campus managed to beat out the other social media sites surveyed such as Instagram, Pinterest and Google Plus, but YouTube was not far behind.

Most likely, the Twitter users on campus do not have that social media site alone; they are probably Facebook users too. Benjamin Black, a senior at AU, has only a Facebook and does not see the point in Twitter.

“Twitter is overrated,” said Black. “It’s basically another Facebook, and why would I need another Facebook?”

However, he also said that it is fair to say he could get a Twitter one day. Despite never wanting a Twitter, he originally did not want a Facebook either.

Despite those numbers on Ashland campus, some AU students do not have Facebook accounts at all.

“I feel that it is a waste of time and it is just one more task that I have to get done throughout the day, and I just don’t have time for it,” said junior Rachel Farley.

Farley briefly had a Facebook, but deleted it soon after creating it.

Of the Facebook users surveyed, it was a close tie between updating their Facebook pages once a day and only once a week. Also, it was a close tie of students checking their Facebook twice a day and once a month. There were results all over the board. There were even a small number of students who admitted to checking their Facebook 15 times a day.

One person added onto their survey that the last time they checked their Facebook was December 2010.

Of the Twitter users, the highest selected choice for how often they update their Twitter was “never.” While the second highest was two or four times a day, it was a very low number.

Overall, despite more than 50 Twitter users being surveyed, it seemed like they have Twitter accounts for no reason. Most likely they originally thought it was cool, but then it became old.

The survey did not question people as to why they preferred Facebook to Twitter.

Even though plenty of people have started to become tired of Facebook, it is still more popular than Twitter. Twitter may never get the attention it craves, at least among Ashland University students.